cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 2
13 9 1 1
Message 1 of 14
Flag Post

Can't print CD/DVDs with HP C309a

HP Recommended

I have an HP Photosmart Premium C309a and am running Windows XP SP3 32-bit.

Firmware Version: VAx2FN0933AR   Software Version: 140.0.428.000   Printer Driver Version: 61-81-634.0

I have printed many CD/DVD's with this printer in the past but a couple of weeks ago I started having a problem where I received the following error messages (paraphrased) never in any specific order:

• Paper Jam
  • Carriage Jam
  • Verify that there is space behind the printer and that the slot on the rear of the printer is not blocked

FYI ~ These are all phantom errors; no jams, plenty of space / not blocked.

Prior to this problem I have successfully printed CD/DVDs using both Acoustica CD/DVD Label Maker and HP Solution Center.  Now the issue occurs with both.

I have installed and run both the HP Hardware Diagnostic Utility v 3.1.0.17 and the HP Print and Scan Doctor v 1.0.0.018 both of which revealed no problems, issue remained.

I watched and performed all suggestions in the HP Video Gallery "Fix a Carriage Jam".  No problems found, issue remained.

In one of the the Forum messages by janubande007 it was suggested that:

....then I read your post and that gave me a clue.....I tried a couple of printing cycles....what happened in my case was as soon as I printed a DUPLEX print job (back-to-back printing on a page), it seems that something internally got unstuck and I was able to Print my DVDs and the error didn't happen again.

Of course, I had to give that a try (printed on paper single sided, printed on paper duplex, printed photo), the issue remained.

I cleaned off all the ink streaks/smudges on my CD/DVD Holder so that it looked almost new again, the issue remained.

It seems that many of us are having this issue and have not been able to obtain a satisfactory "fix".  I am sure that I am not the only HP Customer who is out of warranty on the HP C309a (expired 01-31-2010) who would like help with this problem.

If anyone has a solution, please post it here.
If anyone from HP is around, please give us a hand..

Thank you,
Cheryl Greenleaf
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Level 9
3,551 3,395 279 526
Message 2 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello cgreenleaf,

Can you tell me if a self test report prints fine on the printer?

Print a self-test report

Use the following steps to print a self-test report.
  1. Load plain white paper in the input tray.
  2. Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the product.
  3. Press the Setup button ( ).
  4. Press the down arrow ( ) to select Print Report , and then press OK .
  5. Press the down arrow ( ) to select Self-Test Report , and then press OK . The self-test report prints.

Also have you tried rebooting the printer
Perform a power reset
  1. Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the product.
  2. With the product turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.
  3. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  4. Wait at least 15 seconds.
  5. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  6. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.
  7. If the product does not turn on by itself, press the Power button ( ) to turn it on.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have helped you in any way click the Kudos button to say Thanks.
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
0 Kudos
Tags (3)
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
13 9 1 1
Message 3 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HardBeatZ,

Hmmm...  I do not show Self-Test Report under Print Report

I do however have a Printer Status Report which I ran several times while watching and performing all suggestions in the HP Video Gallery "Fix a Carriage Jam".  No problems found, issue remained.

Ditto for the Perform a Power Reset.  Just in case I did it again, issue remained.

At this point I'll try anything.  Any other suggestions?

Thank you,

Cheryl Greenleaf

0 Kudos
Tags (3)
Highlighted
Level 10
4,871 4,858 300 931
Message 4 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello cgreenleaf

I noticed you checked the Carriage Jam Video, but have you checked the Paper Jam article? They can have very similar problems but there are some differences in the guide and I would suggest starting there. One of the notes from the article state that "The following solutions apply to both real and false paper jams" so it should be helpful.

Paper Jam

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
13 9 1 1
Message 5 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Travis_C,

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.

Actually, the video I watched and followed the steps of was the 14+ minute video that was all inclusive (Carriage Jam, Paper Jam, Carriage Move Freely, Remove and Reinstall Ink Cartridges & Assembly, Plug Printer into Wall Outlet, Power Reset).  The final section of the video suggested that I Service the Printer if the problem had not been corrected by the previous steps.

I was able to successfully print a Printer Status Report after each instruction step but the problem with the CD/DVD not printing remained.

My C309a still prints documents and pictures perfectly, duplexes like a champ, scans and faxes without a problem and can pop out a piece of graph paper and other goodies with just the touch of a button.  I love this printer!

I am bummed I/we haven't been able to resolve the CD/DVD printing issue.  I know I am not alone in this.

Someone must know how to fix this.  Please share the solution.

Thank you,

Cheryl Greenleaf

Note:  I have looked at the current offerings from the HP Store but couldn't find an All-In-One Printer that could match the functionality of my HP C309a. It seems that the CD/DVD printing function has been eliminated and the faxing capability has been replaced with eFax (a service provided by a 3rd party) which is limited to 20 pages per month.

This can't be true... can someone tell me that I just missed something please.

0 Kudos
Tags (3)
Highlighted
Level 10
4,871 4,858 300 931
Message 6 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello cgreenleaf

Well we can try to isolate the problem. Do you have another computer you can connect to? If you can install it and print just fine I would say its a software issue on your computer and we can proceed to try and fix it.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
13 9 1 1
Message 7 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Travis_C

Sorry about the delay in responding.

I was finally able to borrow a laptop, download and install the HP Photosmart Full Feature Software and Drivers for Windows XP and then try to print onto a CD/DVD using the laptop.  Although I was in awe of how easily this worked (I've never done this before) the issue remained.

At this point I agree that it must be the software.

If I may think outside the box for a second, is there a sensor inside the printer that needs to read something that indicates the the CD/DVD holder is inserted properly before it can print to the CD/DVD?  If something on the holder itself has worn off or the sensor is not working properly this could account for the phantom (carriage jam, paper jam, verify that there is space behind the printer and that the slot on the rear of the printer is not blocked) errors I continuously receive.

FYI ~ After I insert the CD/DVD holder into the printer CD/DVD tray to the green line, the printer does go through the normal motions (moving the holder into and back out of the tray) until I receive the first error message.  Then the process continues until all 3 error messages have occurred.

CD-DVD Tray Inserted.jpg

FYI ~ Just in case, I also tried printing the CD/DVD with the duplexer (two-sided printing accessory) removed.  The issue remained.

As I have stated before "I love my HP C309a Photosmart Premium Printer", it's irreplaceable (literally). 

Just let me know what I can do to help.

Thank you,

Cheryl Greenleaf

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10
4,871 4,858 300 931
Message 8 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello cgreenleaf

I sent you a private message with further instructions. Since the printer threw the same errors on two different computers it seems more likely to be a hardware issue. Please let me know if the instructions resolves your issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 9 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am having the same problem can you tell me if your instructions resolved this issue?

You guys took this private I would like to know what happened.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
13 9 1 1
Message 10 of 14
Flag Post
HP Recommended

devindo,

You will have to contact Travis_C directly to get that information.

What I can tell you is that he had me enter some "magic" codes into the printer to see if that would correct the problem. 

He really went over and beyond in his attempt to help me - it just didn't work.

I used to have an Epson printer (given to me as a gift - I always buy HP) that had a similar problem.

Replacing the CD/DVD holder with a new one fixed it.  It seems that there was some kind of mark on the holder that over time wore off or got covered (ink smudges) that prevented the printer from verifying that the holder had been inserted correctly.

I guess my next step would be to see if it's possible to purchase a new CD/DVD holder to see if that fixes the problem.

So I'm going to "take one for the team", purchase the part and see if it fixes the problem.  I'll let you know if it works.

CD Carrier Tray

HP doesn't carry this part.  I also tried HP PartSurfer, no luck there either.

cd tray 2.jpg

I did find it here http://www.partshere.com/online/detailadv.asp?partno=CC334-60034 and am waiting for their reply as to pricing and availability.

Sorry for dropping the ball.

Cheryl

0 Kudos
Tags (3)
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation