Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5000 All-in-One Printer series
iOS

I have just bought a HP ENVY 5030 printer.  I am unable to scan directly by printing scan on the printer, the screen shows a message 'software required'.  I have checked to ensure the printer has the latest updates  which it has.

I can only scan if I use the app and press scan on the app.

i have done a factory re-set and unplugged it from the mains.

Is there a setting that I need to change so that I can scan simply by pressing scan directly on the printer?  I do not want to have to scan via the app.

The only device I have is an iPad.   I do not have a laptop or use windows.

please can someone help?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Jill1812

Welcome to the HP Forums, this is a great location to get assistance! I read your post and see that you are getting "software required" error while scanning from printer to your iPad, correct me if I am wrong. I would like to help you resolve this issue. 

However, I will need a few details to provide an accurate solution,

Which app are you using to scan now?

Meanwhile:

I made a research on this and see that you can not scan from printer directly to iPad which out a software.

Use HP smart app to scan from printer and save in iPad.

1. Place your document or photo on the scanner glass according to the guides on the printer, or in the automatic document feeder, if your printer has one.

2. Open the HP Smart app, and then tap Scan, Scan to Email, or Scan to Cloud, depending on the type of scan you want to complete.

NOTE:

On Apple iOS devices, make sure Scanner is the current scan type selected on the Scan screen.

Figure : Example of Scanner selected

The Scanner option selected for scan type
  3. Tap the Settings icon  on the scan screen to select the Input Source for the scan, if you need to choose between the document feeder or scanner glass.

4. Tap Done or Save.

5. Tap Scan to view the scan and adjust the borders, if necessary.

6. If you want to scan additional pages, tap the additional pages icon .

7. When the scan is complete, tap Send, Save, Share, or Print, depending on the type of scan previously selected.

Click here and refer the document for more assistance.

Let me know if that helps.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thankyou for your reply.  

Sadly this does not help.  I know how to scan using the app.  However,  I would simply like to scan a document by pressing the scan button directly on the printer.  It is ridiculous that I have to put a document on the scanner, then I have to go and get my iPad, open the app and scan from the app.

This is not progress.  Who on earth would design a printer that you can only scan by using an app.  Simply ridiculous.

HP Recommended

@Jill1812

Thank you for replying to my post on the HP Support Forums,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

They will contact you shortly and likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number.

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (such as serial numbers and case details).

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thankyou for trying to resolve this for me.  Hopefully, someone will be able to tell me what it is I am doing wrong.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with my IPad and LaserJet Pro MFP M127fw. Can you please add support in the app for scanning from my printer model LaserJet Pro MFP M127fw ?

Thanks

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.