Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
macOS 10.12 Sierra

I'm using a MacBook Pro with MS Word. I'm trying to print a mail merge document. I've done this many times in the past with no problem, but today the printer keeps printing double sided copies. I've tried everything I know to fix this and just print each page separately, but no luck. In the past, some documents have the option to print single or double sided, but others don't have that option. This document does not have the option. I've tried going to System Preferences but there's nothing there. The printer preferences don't have any options. I want to turn off "duplex" but can't. I'd really appreciate suggetions. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@MaureenK1,

Thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that the issue still persists after following the steps provided in the previous interaction.

You may restore the printer to its factory defaults and check.

Please follow the steps below: 

To restore the printer to the original factory settings

1. From the printer control panel display, touch and slide your finger across the screen and then touch Setup.

2. Touch Tools.

3. Touch Restore Factory Defaults, and then touch Yes. A message appears stating that the printer defaults have been restored.

4. Touch OK.

✔️ You can check this video: How to disable Double Sided printing on HP printer using a Mac 

Let me know if this works.

I hope you have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@MaureenK1, welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out.

I understand that you are unable to cancel the two-sided printing option from your HP Officejet Pro 8610 e-All-in-One Printer

Don't worry as I have a few steps that should help fix this issue.

You need to deselect the check box next to the Two-Sided option in the Print window.

And here's the step by step guide for you in the link: http://hp.care/2j9Ac2O

Let me know how that works.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Hi Rainbow 23, and thanks for the suggestion. However, it really doesn't help because there IS NO BOX that allows me to print on only one side. For SOME documents, that box DOES appear and for others it DOESN'T. For my mail merge document, there IS NO BOX. So I had to manually print one page at a time. Fortunately, there were "only" 86 pages to print so it only took a little over 1/2 hour. Then I tried to print the address labels, and again the printer decided to duplex them. So I ruiined 2 sheets of labels. Then I got smart and printed them with the label pages turned upside down for the first set (label side up instead of down) and then label side down for another set  so I had one corretly printed page for each. Very tedious!  I wonder if it's related to being a mail merge document? Bottom line - why can't I control the printer and STOP double sided printing? There MUST be a way to change the settings. Or at least I hope so!!!

HP Recommended

@MaureenK1,

I understand that the issue still persists after following the steps provided in the previous interaction.

You may restore the printer to its factory defaults and check.

Please follow the steps below: 

To restore the printer to the original factory settings

1. From the printer control panel display, touch and slide your finger across the screen and then touch Setup.

2. Touch Tools.

3. Touch Restore Factory Defaults, and then touch Yes. A message appears stating that the printer defaults have been restored.

4. Touch OK.

✔️ You can check this video: How to disable Double Sided printing on HP printer using a Mac 

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Okay - I did everything you suggested. I reset to factory default settings. It never did say "OK" but the printer did restart. I reset the wifi and once again tried to print the merge letters. Once again there was no option box to print single or double sided. I hit print and once again the printer printed on both sides. I pulled out the paper tray to stop the printing from continuing, so I didn't waste a lot of paper, and then cancelled the print job. But the problem is still there and I still need a way to fix it. 

Thanks for trying, but I'm still waiting for a solution. 

HP Recommended

@MaureenK1,

This issue could occur if the firmware is not updated.

Please follow the link to update the firmware: Firmware

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Once again, thanks for your help. I solved my problem last night. When I click print for the mail merge document, the page doesn't have a check box for one or two sided copying. However, it does have a box for Copies & Pages. It does NOT say Preset Menu! That's why I couldn't find it all the other times I tried every button on the page. When I click on that box, the drop down menu offers several selections including Layout!!!! That's where I can select or deselect Two-Sided OFF!!!!!

I don't know why it was so hard for anyone to suggest that, but I'm finally able to turn the duplexing on or off. 

Thanks again for all your help and I did do the firmware update today. 

I hope you have a good day. I know I will.

HP Recommended

@MaureenK1, you are welcome.

I am happy to know that the issue has resolved.

I also appreciate your time and patience.

Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

You have a good day and a Happy Weekend.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

I have the same problem with not being able to turn off two-sided (duplex) printing. I have also tried all the suggestions in this thread including the resolution suggested by user MaureenK1. I am using iMac with High Sierra OS X in a Word document and even when I click on Copies and Pages, or Layout and Settings, there is NO option to turn off -- or on -- duplex printing! Why would HP make this so difficult???

HP Recommended

Hi @dh2ack ,

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

The Barachiel is at your service.

I understand you are in need of support,

I'll be glad to help you out, however, for an accurate solution I will need more details:

Have you attempted any steps on your own before posting on the HP Forums?

When was the last time it worked without these issues? 

In the meantime, please try the steps mentioned below:

From word open the print dialog and click the Copies & Pages. select Layout from the menu and then set the Two-Sided as off.

You may click the Preset drop-sown and save the setting as a preset, then it will remain as default till another preset will be used.

Please reply with the details for further assistance.

Eager to help!

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.