Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Officejet 5470
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I was previously able to connect to the Officejet 5470 printer via WiFi direct, and I was even able to print sometimes without even having to disconnect from the broadband wifi! However, now even if I connect to the printer wifi, it doesn't print. It continually shows the printer as offline, or 'driver unavailable', so the printer's icon is always greyed out when I go the printers and devices list.

The only way it will work is via USB, but I would very much like to restore the Wifi function as that is more practical due to the office arrangement and not having to be continually connected to the printer by wire.

I tried to remove the printer from the devices list, and reinstall it, but to no avail. I even downloaded all these HP software to try to enable me to connect, or download new software and drivers. Whenever I try to install wirelessly, it never works, regardless of which wifi I'm connected to. When I go to 'add printer' in the Printers and Devices page, it does seem to detect it (even when not connected via USB or wifi?), and the WPS PIN is requested. But when I enter this, it never seems to work!

Please let me know what I can do. Feels like I've tried everything! We have another laptop that has not had any problems (though it does require disconnecting from the broadband wifi to the printer wifi, which should be the usual way).

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @lemonteajunkie,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand you are having connectivity issues on your HP OfficeJet 5740 printer. Don't worry as I have a few steps to help you get through this concern,

Kudos to you for trying out the steps before reaching out to us.

Hard reset on the printer, router, computer and other devices on the same network.

The following steps temporarily disconnect network and Internet connections and require restarting your computer. Complete any tasks or downloads in progress before continuing.

1. Press the Power button on the printer to turn it off.

2. Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

3. Disconnect the power cord from the wireless router.

4. Turn off the computer.

5. Wait for 30 seconds.

6. Reconnect the power cord to the wireless router.

7. Wait for 30 seconds, or until the router is fully on and ready

8. Turn the computer back on.

9. Wait for the computer to reload

10. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

11. Turn the printer back on.

Let’s try assigning a static IP to try and fix this issue. Follow the steps below:

• Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to get the IP address.
  • Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  • Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.
  • Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  • Click on radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Once done, reinstall the printer drivers. Follow the steps below:

• Unplug the USB cable from the printer and computer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Envy printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Now click on http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/oj5740/OJ5740__Full_WebPack_1107.exe to download and install the updated printer drivers.
  • In the connection type window, select “Wireless” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

Let me know if those steps worked for you.  If they did, that’s awesome!  Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Thank you for the thorough suggestions. I will try this over the next few days (as I am not at work). Before this, can I ask if this will affect the connectivity between the printer and other devices that have already connected and working well with the printer? As I mentioned, we have another laptop that is working fine with the printer, and I dont want to disrupt its ability to print wirelessly whilst fixing the other laptop's ability to do so.
HP Recommended

Hi @lemonteajunkie, I am the @Chimney_83. It looks like you were interacting with @Jeet_singh, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

Thanks for the reply, please do try the suggested procedure in your spare time and let me know how it goes. 

Changing the IP address on the printer will not affect the connectivity with the other computer and the printer. 

Please try the procedure and let me know how it goes. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Jeet_singh @Chimney_83, thank you both for the suggestions. I've gone through all of the steps, but at the final one (installing network wirelessly), it fails again, as before, and states that network installation was unsuccessful, and the device was unable to be installed over the network.

Please advise me as soon as you can on how to proceed.

HP Recommended

Hi @lemonteajunkie,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As I understand you are having issues installing the printer over the network, Don't worry as I have a few steps which should help you resolve this issue.

. Let's try a clean install and try. Follow the steps below:

·         First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.

·         Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Officejet printer entries and uninstall them.

·         Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.

·         Restart your computer.

·         Click the bottom-left Start button on the desktop, type device manager in the search box and tap Device Manager on the menu.

·         Once in device manager, click on the view tab in the top & choose “Show hidden devices”.

·         Then from the device manager list, check the entries under “Printer”  – If there are any entries, please right click and choose “uninstall” – In the confirm device un-install pop-up, make sure you select the box which says “Delete the driver software for this device".

·         Also, check the entries under "printer queue" and "imaging devices" and repeat the same exercise. Delete any printer entry or any entry which says “Unknown device”.

·         Once done, close device-manger. Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.

·         Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.

·         Again, go to run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

·         Once done you can try cleaning out your temporary files and cached files. You can try using automated applications like some cleaner software's that you can download from the internet.

·         Now restart your computer again.

·         Open the Run window again, type “services.msc” and press ok to get services window.

·         Scroll down to “Remote Procedure Call (RPC)” – right-click and go to properties. Make sure the service is started and startup type is “Automatic”.

·         Now scroll up and go to “Function Discovery Provider Host” – right-click and select properties – Change the startup type to “manual” and start the service.

·         Repeat the same exercise on “Function Discovery Resource Publication” as well.

·         Click on http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/oj5740/OJ5740__Full_WebPack_1107.exe and install the software.

·         Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

If you are still facing the issues to remove the driver, then try using a 3rd party software removal applications like "Revo uninstaller" or "Wise" to completely remove the programs.

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.