Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have searched this forum and tried to sort out my problem but none of the suggestions worked out.

I have a Photosmart C4780 and am running OSX10.8

Recently our internet provider changed our wireless router and our SSID. Consequently, the printer that was connected to the original network and properly functioning stopped working. I have tried to connect the printer to this new network but was unsuccessful. It now says that the printer is connected to the network hp(something) and I cannot change it to the new SSID.

Could you please tell me what to do? I have installed the software referred in the HP website, connected the USB cable to the printer in order to try to configure it, but it says that the printer cannot find any existing network (albeit I am next to the printer and wirelessly connected to the inteded network)

Does some sort of hard-reset on the printer might be a good strategy? How can one do it?

Thanks in advance

Pedro

PS: The printer works properly when printing via USB

PS2: It is not an option to revert the SSID of the router to the previous one

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @pedroa 

You say "I have installed the software referred in the HP website", but there is no software for the c4780 that is compatible with 10.8. OS X v10.8 Mountain Lion: Installing and Using the Printer on a Mac with Mountain Lion.

As you know, this printer does not have a wireless wizard build into the front panel instead we would typically connect a USB cable from the printer to the computer and run the setup assistant.

Because you  have 10.8 on the Mac, and there is no full feature software and drivers, you will not have the setup assistant we need to configure the printer. You may be wondering now, well how can I set it up then?  Good question, we are going to restore the printers network back to default and the printer will have its own IP address designed for whats called an Ad Hoc connection (network without a router). We will put the computer on the printers network, and then print a report to get the printers IP address. At this point we can access the embedded web server (EWS) and run the wireless wizard from there. Once the printer is on the home network with the router we can put the computer back on the network and vuala the printer and computer will both be on your network.

To restore network defaults - since you have done this before I imagine you know how but for others who may view the post, here are the steps

1. Press the Wireless button
  2. Select Wireless Settings
  3. Scroll down and select Restore Network Defaults.  Press Yes to acknowledge
  4. The radio will turn off (the blue LED will go out).  You may need to press the wireless button again to Enable Wireless

Put the computer on the printers network (temporary)

1. Click on the Airport symbol on the top left side of the Mac screen
2. Choose the network that look relative to the printer (might say HP setup or some variation of your printer name) - it may take a few minutes for it to appear

Print the wireless network test - wait a few minutes to ensure the and computer have established an adhoc connection otherwise the report will not have an IP address

1. Press the Scan button (it also the Wireless menu button)
  3. Navigate to Wireless test and select.

The Wireless Network Test prints, look for and note the IP address.

Open an Internet browser (Safari) and enter the IP address into the URL (address bar).

Click on the network tab, on the left click on wireless or 802.11.

At this point we are looking fore "start wizard" should be on the right hand side.

c4780.JPG

Once we have successful configured the printer for your network you can put your computer back on your own network.

Now you can add the printer to the System Preferences and print :smileyhappy:

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, thanks.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi @pedroa 

You say "I have installed the software referred in the HP website", but there is no software for the c4780 that is compatible with 10.8. OS X v10.8 Mountain Lion: Installing and Using the Printer on a Mac with Mountain Lion.

As you know, this printer does not have a wireless wizard build into the front panel instead we would typically connect a USB cable from the printer to the computer and run the setup assistant.

Because you  have 10.8 on the Mac, and there is no full feature software and drivers, you will not have the setup assistant we need to configure the printer. You may be wondering now, well how can I set it up then?  Good question, we are going to restore the printers network back to default and the printer will have its own IP address designed for whats called an Ad Hoc connection (network without a router). We will put the computer on the printers network, and then print a report to get the printers IP address. At this point we can access the embedded web server (EWS) and run the wireless wizard from there. Once the printer is on the home network with the router we can put the computer back on the network and vuala the printer and computer will both be on your network.

To restore network defaults - since you have done this before I imagine you know how but for others who may view the post, here are the steps

4. The radio will turn off (the blue LED will go out).  You may need to press the wireless button again to Enable Wireless

Put the computer on the printers network (temporary)

1. Click on the Airport symbol on the top left side of the Mac screen
2. Choose the network that look relative to the printer (might say HP setup or some variation of your printer name) - it may take a few minutes for it to appear

Print the wireless network test - wait a few minutes to ensure the and computer have established an adhoc connection otherwise the report will not have an IP address

The Wireless Network Test prints, look for and note the IP address.

Open an Internet browser (Safari) and enter the IP address into the URL (address bar).

Click on the network tab, on the left click on wireless or 802.11.

At this point we are looking fore "start wizard" should be on the right hand side.

c4780.JPG

Once we have successful configured the printer for your network you can put your computer back on your own network.

Now you can add the printer to the System Preferences and print :smileyhappy:

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, thanks.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your answer.

It indeed solved the problem that I was struggling with for a few weeks now.

Thanks a lot!!!

HP Recommended

I have same prob but have windows 7 not mac.  Printer c4780 works fine when connected by usb.  cannot locate printer, printer offline, and when i did the recommended steps  as you mentioned my ssid could not be found even though i am connected to it.  Time Warner tech fixed tel lines and  set up  their router which was qorking fine prior to their fixing a tel. prob.    thanks,   beaubosch

HP Recommended

Hi @beaubosch 

The HP software automatically gathers network settings by temporarily connecting a USB cable from the printer to a computer that is connected to the new network. Follow these steps to reconnect the printer to the network.
  1. Click the Windows icon (), click All Programs, click HP, and then click the folder for your HP printer.
  2. Click USB to Wireless, and then follow the on-screen instructions. Do not connect the printer to the computer with the USB cable until prompted. At the end of the process you are prompted to remove the USB cable.
  3. Restart any other computers on the network that use the wireless printer.

- Source

Please let me know of the steps above allow you to reconnect the printer to the wireless network.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.  I did the steps as outlined however, I get selected printer(photosmart 4780) is not present.  any suggestions?  thanks again . beaubossch

HP Recommended

Let's try a different approach. First restore the printers wireless network settings;

Then, try the previously posted steps;

1. Click the Windows icon (), click All Programs, click HP, and then click the folder for your HP printer.
  2. Click USB to Wireless, and then follow the on-screen instructions. Do not connect the printer to the computer with the USB cable until prompted. At the end of the process you are prompted to remove the USB cable.
  3. Restart any other computers on the network that use the wireless printer.

Then print a network test to obtain the IP address;

The Wireless Network Test prints, look for and note the IP address. Please let me know the IP address, thanks.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I did the wireless sug. and still come up with "seelected printer is not present".  This is aggravating since it was working last week, however I am sure I am missing something simple.  I downloaded orig. HP CD  etc. sev. days ago and still did not work.  It must be something with the T Warner router reconfig.or my laptop does not want to recognize the printer when it is wireless.  It works fine when connected by USB.  Thanks for your sug.  Beaubosch

HP Recommended

Hi @beaubosch 

I agree this must have something to do with the T Warner router. Are you able to get in touch with them and see what changes they can make to ensure the printer can be reachable on the network? Maybe they have ports blocked or some kind of firewall the is prohibiting the connection.

If you can give them a ring and then touch base with me, but please don't feel like I am giving up, I would just very much like to see what they might have to say. Also, maybe you can let me know what the model number of the router is. I can use that model number to do some additional research. Maybe others are having issues too.

mostache.JPG  - In support of Movember

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

the model number of the router is arris TG862.  i will call tw on fri and hopefully get some assistance.  thanks , beaubosch

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.