cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
DebFlynn Tutor
Tutor
8 7 1 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Cannot install the software for my new printer

HP Laser Jet MFP M177fw
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I just purchased this printer yesterday and have been working all this time trying to get the software installed.   I've used the CD that comes with the printer.  I've used the online software and used the assistant to download and install.  I've gone through many of the forums here and troubleshooted with all I've seen.   I keep getting the error message cannot install.  

I'm getting frustrated at something so simple in the past has become a chore.   I have only used HP products for my scanners/printers and I'm afraid my next step may be to pack this unit up and take it back to the store for a different brand.  

Please help.

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
DebFlynn Tutor
Tutor
8 7 1 0
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

update:

I just went into the diagnostic tools and downloaded and installed HP Printer Install Wizard, the message came up that this printer is not supported by this wizard.  

Also, I downloaded and installed Readiris Pro 14 just to be able to scan, but I get a message that this will only work for 30 days unless I have the software for my printer installed and to put the activation code in that is on the CD.  Well, there is no activation code on the printer CD and I can't get the software installed to be able to use this scan feature for longer than 30 days.   Please help soon.   I need this printer to scan documents for work.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
768 631 42 97
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hello @DebFlynn,

Welcome to the HP Forums, and thanks for posting.

I understand you are having an issue installing your new HP LaserJet Pro M177fw MFP on a Windows 7 computer. I'd love to help you with this.

I would recommend first clearing the temp files on your computer to make sure there isn't anything there that is preventing the installation. Here are the instructions:

1. Restart your computer.
  2. Click on your Start Menu.
  3. In the Search bar, type in %temp%, then press enter. Your Temp folder will open.
  4. On your keyboard. Select Ctrl + A (this will select all files)
  5. Hit the delete button on your keyboard to remove all temp files.

Then I would recommend doing a clean boot of your computer. This will turn off any non-microsoft programs that are loading when you start your computer, to avoid any conflicts with the installer. You can follow the steps here to do a cleanboot: How to perform a clean boot in Windows

Once the computer has started up again, try downloading and installing from the HP website: HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M177 Series Full Software and Drivers

If you are still unable to install the printer, try running the MS Fix It tool. This is a tool supplied by Microsoft to resolve Operating System issues, and this version is specific to issues when installing or uninstalling: Fix problems that programs cannot be installed or uninstalled

Please respond to let me know if this helped to resolve your issue!

Good luck.

:catvery-happy:

HeyListen
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!

DebFlynn Tutor
Tutor
8 7 1 0
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thank you for your reply, I am trying the steps you told me, however the computer hung on the services window, so I rebooted into safe mode with networking.  Hopefully, I can install the software this way.   I'll let you know. 

0 Kudos
DebFlynn Tutor
Tutor
8 7 1 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

OK, I tried the install from the file I downloaded since the online didn't have the download button visible.    I got the error again.   When I tried to delete all the temp files 2 files didn't want to delete,(and they were prior attempts at installing HP software.    Perhaps I need to uninstall ALL instances of HP on my computer including the registry.   Can you suggest software that will do this?    I have had HP Scan 5560 HP Laserjet 3600n and a prior HP Inkjet printer on my system which I think there are residuals all over the place.   I'm not prepared to do a format and reinstall of my system at this time, so please do not suggest that,  perhaps as a very very last resort but I'll need to do a major backup of my system then.  

Thank you for your help. 

errorHP.png

0 Kudos
DebFlynn Tutor
Tutor
8 7 1 0
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

OK, here are the two files that won't delete from the temp folder

file : FXSAPIDebugLogFile.txt

Folder : ZsS06F2  / file: HPSLPSV64.DLL

I tried opening that txt file but it's not to be found. 

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
768 631 42 97
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hello again @DebFlynn,

Thanks for getting back to me!

You could be hitting the nail on the head with the possibility of a registry issue. You may want to try running a registry cleaner like CCleaner (it's my personal preference, and can be downloaded here - CCleaner There's also a little How To section to help you.)

This suggestion does not come from an HP document, it is of my own opinion. CCleaner is my personal preference, I use it on my computers. If you have a registry cleaner already or one you prefer, you can use that.

Note: You'll want to uninstall the software again before running the registry cleaner.

Once you've run the registry cleaner, go back to your temp folder and see if you can remove those files. Even if not, I'd recommend re-installing anyways.

Please let me know if this works for us!

Fingers crossed.

:cathappy:

HeyListen
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!

DebFlynn Tutor
Tutor
8 7 1 0
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thank you so much for your quick reply.    I'm going away for a few days, so I'll either attempt this while I'm away (taking my laptop with me), or when I get home.    I won't be able to install the software though since I won't have my printer with me, unless you can suggest a way this can be done without the physical printer.  

0 Kudos
DebFlynn Tutor
Tutor
8 7 1 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I finally was successful in installing my software.    I did download another registery cleaner and it found more stragglers and I found about 5 gig more to free up on my main partition.   I suspect that the limitations on my hard drive partition may have contributed to the software being unable to install.   However, I did so many steps so I'm unsure which one allowed me to complete the process.  But, there was one thing different and that was installing the firmware update that was on the product software/drivers page.    Thank you for all your help and support. 

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
768 631 42 97
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hello again @DebFlynn,

I'm so happy to hear that it is working!!

Please consider marking my second post as a solution, so that if anyone else has a similar issue, they can find an answer quickly.

It's been a pleasure working with you.

:cathappy:

HeyListen
I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation