cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
JamesdB
3 2 0 1
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Cannot open cover of HP Photosmart 6520 to get acces to inkcartridges

HP Photosmart 6520
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I  can 't 'open the cover of my  HP Photosmart 6520 printer wide enough to get acces to the inkcartridges  and

replace them.

Is there anyone who knows what I should do?

Thanks in advance.

JamesdB

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Retired
Retired
675 631 42 97
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @JamesdB, and Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand you are having an issue getting access to the ink cartridges on you HP Photosmart 6520 e-All-in-One printer. I'd like to help you with this.

Please take a look at the diagrams in this document:

Replacing Cartridges for HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 6520 e-All-in-One and HP Photosmart 6520 e-All-in-...

This will give you an idea of how far the cover should open, and give us a bit of a starting point.

Is your printer plugged in when you are trying to access the cartridges? If not, then the carriage will not move over to the middle so that you can access it properly.

Hope this helps!!

:catvery-happy:

HeyListen
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!

0 Kudos
JamesdB
3 2 0 1
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dear ....

Thank you  very much for your willingness to help me.
I am  glad that I can tell you that shortly after posing my question on this forum I already found a solution myself  for my problem.
I was able to open the cover - after having reset the printer a few times - by carefully pushing and pulling upwards the cover using a little bit more power, I suppose, than I did before.
However,  I am not sure of the importance of resetting the printer.
When I had opened the cover I easily could  install a magenta and cyan cartidge; a message  "Genuine HP Ink Cartidge(s)installed" appeared on the display of the printer. (For this the link you sent me was very helpful.)
Because I am expecting  that I have to install two other cartidges within two months I wanted to know how easily it would be to open the printer after the installation of these first two.
To my great disappointment I must say that I had the same problems as before: The cover again could not be opened wide enough - only about 2 centimeters - to get acces to these cartridges.
Therefore, again I would be grateful for some help.

JamesdB

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
675 631 42 97
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello again @JamesdB! :cathappy:

Thanks so much for getting back to me.

I took a look at the Photosmart 6520, and I noticed a similar resistance once you've opened the cover only about 2 centimeters. However, the lid is not locked.

Essentially, its a safety feature to ensure that the printer lid isn't dropped back down onto the bottom portion of the printer. It does take a little bit more force to make it past that small window, and to get the lid open all of the way.

Let me know if this tip helps, and sheds some light on the issue.

If by applying a bit more force, you are still not able to open the printer's cover, then I would suggest contacting our phone support here: Contact HP Support

Fill in the model number and the form to receive a case number for quicker assistance.

I look forward to hearing from you.

HeyListen
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!

Highlighted
JamesdB
3 2 0 1
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dear ....

Thanks a lot for  responding so soon.
You were absolutely right.
With a little bit more power the cover could be opened as wide as is normal;
that is as shown in the video of the link you sent me before: 
http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Photosmart-6520-e-All-in-One-Printer-series/5169038/model/516...
I was too afraid to force something.
Thanks again.  I think I still can use the printer for  a long time.

JamesdB

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation