Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
MFP M277dw
macOS 10.12 Sierra

All of a sudden my scan to network will not work to a shared folder on my Mac.  When I look at my configuration under "scan" on printer configuration and do the TEST for the network folder entry it works fine and tells me that the configuration and test was successful.  But when I attempt to actually do a scan, I get a message on the printer:

"Cannot write to {folder name}.

Destination folder is read only, has the wrong permissions, or is no longer available."

None of these issues exist, I have checked all, and especially since the "test" showed everything OK??

Scan to folder does work on a PC share.  So I think it may be a Mac thing, just upgraded to High Sierra.

Also I did make sure my user name had no spaces in it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

OK, so after much searching I got it to work.  As I suspected it was an issue caused by High Sierra.  There is a simple fix for this. 

See:  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208317   or

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/11/29/apple-macos-high-sierra-file-sharing-fix/

Hope this works for others who had this problem 

View solution in original post

44 REPLIES 44
HP Recommended

Hi @Tim42,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query. I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that you are facing issues with scanning to the network folder from your HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M277dw.

This issue could occur if the scan to the network folder setting is not correct.

I suggest that follow the steps on page no. 56 of the user guide from the link: User Guide

Let me know if this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

As I noted in my original question, I have done all of this.  In fact everything has worked fine until the other day when I tried to do a scan.  When I hit "test" on the scan configuration page it is successful.  This indicates that the printer is communicating with the computer share.  However when actually doing a scan I get the error mentioned above.  The only change I have made in the mac is that I upgraded to High Sierra.   I don't know why that would be a problem, but with these devices you never know!

HP Recommended

Greetings @Tim42, I am the @Chimney_83. It looks like you were interacting with @Rainbow23, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

Thanks for the reply, recommend you connect the printer to your computer using a USB cable. 

Visit www.hp.com/drivers and enter the printer model you are using. 

Download and install the firmware update on your printer over USB connection. 

Once the firmware update is installed, reconfigure scan to network option. 

If the issue persists, please uninstall the printer software on your MAC, reset the printing system, reinstall it back. 

(Have the printer disconnected from the computer during uninstallation.)

HP Printers - Uninstalling HP Printer Software (Mac)

Once you have uninstalled the printer software, reset the printing system.

HP Printers - Resetting the Printing System (Mac)

Restart the MAC.

Download the driver from the drivers page and install it on your MAC.

Power on the printer only when the setup prompts for the printer. 

Apple forums suggest installing a new driver. Click here

Let me know if this helped. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I already have the latest firmware installed.  I don't see why I need to change any software on the Mac since I am not interested in printing from the Mac.  I only want to send a scan to a network share.  This should work as long as the printer is capable of sending the scan to a SMB share.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, recommend you delete scan to network setup on your printer. 

Follow the procedure mentioned below to assign a manual IP address to the printer and reconfigure it. 

• Obtain the IP address of the printer (which can found by pressing the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel)
  • Enter the IP address on the web browser (Ex: chrome, IE) to enter the printer EWS page.
  • Go to the “Network” tab, click on “Wireless (802.11) then click on “Network address (IPV4)
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual DNS server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Once done, reconfigure scan to network folder and check. 

Keep me posted. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Actually, I already use a fixed ip address on this printer and a direct, wired network connection.

Again, when I do the "scan setup" on the configuration page for this printer, all goes well and the connection is verified.  It is only when I do an actual scan that I get the failure message mentioned in previous post.

HP Recommended

IMG_3851.jpg

HP Recommended

OK, so after much searching I got it to work.  As I suspected it was an issue caused by High Sierra.  There is a simple fix for this. 

See:  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208317   or

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/11/29/apple-macos-high-sierra-file-sharing-fix/

Hope this works for others who had this problem 

HP Recommended

OK, now after moving up to High Sierra 10.13.3 the problem has returned and apple's fix no longer works. :womanfrustrated:

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.