Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I can't upgrade the firmware in my Officejet Pro 8600 N911a.  My current firmware is CKP1CN1416AR.  According to the HP drivers site, the latest firmware is CLP1CN1322CR.  I get the update to run and it identifies my printer, but it will not let me select it.  I'm using the printer on a wireless network, but I'm trying to run the firmware update via USB.  Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sunshyn2005,

Thanks for providing information on this issue.

Apparently the problem your customers are having is that they waste their time trying to update the firmware on their printers and after a few hours of frustration they finally find out that HP has an out of date firmware file on its website that has a date that is much newer than the firmware itself.

HP needs to do the following to make the firmware update process less frustrating:

1.  Establish dates and version numbers in the file metadata that clearly indicate which firmware file is newer. 

2.  Keep the HP web site up to date with the latest firmware versions.

3.  Broudly and transparently announce to the public when a firmware update will be performed and why.

4.  Establish technology so that firmware can be updated over wireless links so that networks do not have to be reconfigured to do firmware updates.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Same problem.  I've tried the update with ethernet and usb, firewall on and off.  It sees the printer has the older firmware but won't let me select it.  It shows the status as "Not applicable"?

HP Recommended

hmmm, it is possible 1416AR is newer than 1322CR?  Could 1416 stand for 16th week of 2014 and 1322 is 22nd week of 2013?  Maybe the newer firmware hasn't made it to the website yet or was pulled for some reason. 

HP Recommended

My printer has been on firmware CKP1CN1322CR since I got it last year (notice the K instead of L). Today it automatically updated to CKP1CN1416AR. So it appears that this is a newer firmware version than what the website lists as the current version. When this one becomes available for download, I'm guessing that it will show up as version CLP1CN1416AR like the 1322 version did.

HP Recommended

Hi,

firmware CKP1CN1416AR was new but was withdraw from website (have mistake).

Firmware CLP1CN1322CR is older than  CKP1CN1416AR. Well, You can´t install older firmware. We have to wait for new good firmware.

Piotr

HP Recommended

Same problem here. 

CLP1CN1416AR looks quite buggy.

HP Recommended

Hi Folks,

CLP1CN1416AR is the newest firmware version. May I ask what type of issues are occurring? Maybe I can help.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

In my case I am not having any issues with CLP1CN1416AR but if you go to the N911a support page it shows the latest firmware is CLP1CN1322CR.  If you have 1416 it won't let you 'update' to 1322.  I am specualting 1416 is actually newer but got pulled for some reason.   Can you clarify?

HP Recommended

Hi lowbar,

I don't believe CLP1CN1416AR was ever uploaded to the Driver page, thus it was not added and then pulled. The 1322 version online was made available as an update to resolve some issues that had been occurring with some of the earlier models. The newest CLP1CN1416AR version is available through the automatic updates via the front panel of the printer and are obtained when the printer is connected to a wireless network, Web Services are enabled, and as mentioned, auto updates are enabled.

I am not sure though why the newest version was not added to the driver page. It may be because it is not a necessary update, it may only apply to printers that are using Web Services or it may be that the newest version is entirely necessary but only available through the front panel. I truly couldn't say with certainty why it is not available online through the driver page, I can only speculate.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I'm having this exact same problem.

It's bizarre that this issue has occurred.

Oh well, now I have to waste my time un-configuring the wired connection I had to set up to do the firmware update.

What a waste of my time.

I wish someone would fire the jerk at HP he created this mess.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.