cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
charlottejane
Level 1
10 9 0 1
Message 1 of 20
Flag Post

Cant get my P1102 Laserjet to work on new Acer Aspire ES 15

HP Recommended
Laserjet P1102
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've just bought a new Acer Aspire ES 15 laptop.  I've downloaded the driver from the HP website but when I go to print my printer is not listed.  When I look at Settings to see what printers are listed it does show Laserjet P1102 but says the driver is unavailable.  Can anyone help, thanks.

0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
Gemini02
Retired
Retired
16,806 17,101 1,041 2,643
Message 2 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @charlottejane,

This is a great location to get assistance! I read your post and see that you are unable to print. You are getting the message "driver is unavailable". I would like to help you resolve this issue. 

Make sure the printer is connected directly to the computer and not a USB hub or docking station.

Download and run the Print and Scan Doctor. It will diagnose the issue and might automatically resolve it. Let me know the results.

You can click on the "Accept as Solution" if the issue is  resolved and the "Thumbs Up" for my effort. Please keep me posted. Good Luck! 

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
charlottejane
Author
Level 1
10 9 0 1
Message 3 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your response.  I can confirm the printer is connected directly to the computer.  I have tried your suggestion with the scan doctor already but it still didn't work or recognise the printer.

This is my second new laptop in two months, my HP had to go back as it had a fault but when I downloaded the driver software to that laptop I had no problems so it would suggest a conflict with the ACER laptop.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Gemini02
Retired
Retired
Message 4 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for getting back to me @charlottejane.

Restart the printer and make sure the printer is connected directly to a wall outlet. (don't use a powered hub or a surge protector) This ensures the printer is receiving full power and may help this situation. The USB cable shouldn't be longer than 6 feet.

This can also happen when the printer is already recognized as the USB connection and windows don't detect it again.

Leave the USB cable connected, delete the printer from the Devices and Printers (if listed)  and the Device Manager.

To access the Device Manager:

Press the windows key and the X key on the keyboard at the same time on the desktop.

Then click on Device Manager from the list.

Check the connections in the Device Manager for any printer entries, under Universal Serial Bus Controllers look for USB Printing Support or anything with a yellow exclamation mark, Mass Storage Device or Unknown Device. Right, click and uninstall the device.

Let me know if and how the printer was listed.

Then reconnect the USB cable and it should be detected again.

If you are still having issues, disconnect the USB cable, run the uninstall and reinstall the printer software again. Don't connect the USB cable until prompted during the install.

Is this the Laserjet P1102 or the Laserjet P1102w?

Thanks!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
charlottejane
Author
Level 1
10 9 0 1
Message 5 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have tried all that as well.  The driver is listed but says "driver is unavailable".  When I plug the USB printer cable into my laptop I have a message that comes up Drive E: HP smart install choose what happens to this setup.  When I click on that I have the following options HP Smart Install, Open files to view or take no action.  When I click on HP smart Install I have the following error message.  This app has been blocked for your protection  SISetup.exe.

I have just sucessfully installed my other printer a HP Officejet 8500 with no problems but really need the Laserjet one working as well.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
charlottejane
Author
Level 1
10 9 0 1
Message 6 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry forgot to say there was nothing listed in Device Manager as you asked.  It is only listed in Devices, Printers and Scanners but says driver is unavailable.

0 Kudos
Gemini02
Retired
Retired
Message 7 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for providing that information @charlottejane.

The printer has a Smart Install built into the firmware that automatically installs the printer software. Since you are on Windows 10, next time the Smart Install comes up close it and continue on with the installation from the download.

Let me know the results.

Thanks!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
charlottejane
Author
Level 1
10 9 0 1
Message 8 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have only installed from the download not the smart install as this message only comes up after the download says it has finished installing and I plug in the printer.  I'm not getting a prompt when the installation is actually in process asking me to plug in my printer though which I thought it should do.

0 Kudos
Gemini02
Retired
Retired
Message 9 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @charlottejane,

Do you still have the printer installed on the old computer?

If you do I can provide the steps for disabling the Smart Install. I believe it is interfering.

What operating system is on it?

Let me know. Thanks!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

0 Kudos
charlottejane
Author
Level 1
10 9 0 1
Message 10 of 20
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am on Windows 10.  The download  goes to my download file but does not appear under Apps even though it says it has finished installing.  Before retrying I have deleted the file through file explorer not through the uninstall apps as it does not appear on the list.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation