Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

My OfficeJet J6480 All-in-One is reporting a carriage jam.  I have gone through all the steps in the video on the HP site.  It seems that the carriage is indeed locked up tight.  It is all the way on the right and won't move.  I don't see anything in the way, but I'm not entirely sure what it is supposed to look like in there.  Should I just get my screwdriver and start trying to pop plastic parts out of there?  I don't know what to do.  The video says "make sure the carriage will move to the left".  It won't move and I don't see what is blocking it.  Any ideas?

The print cartridges won't come out.  There is a black plastic piece in front of them that prevents them from coming out.  That seems wrong.  On the other hand, I don't think that piece is blocking the left-to-right movement.  Is there a way I can upload a picture?

The printer was working fine yesterday.  I've had the printer for probably 5 years.

I'm stumped.  Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Forums go_dores,

I see by your post that the carriage is stuck on the Officejet J6480.
I can help you with this issue today.

Personally, if it was me I wouldn't dismantle my printer.

Is this the document and video you tried?

'Carriage Jam' Message Displays on the Control Panel Display.

Did you try connecting the printer to a wall out and do the reset on the printer?

Try to gently manually move the print carriage from one side to the other.

If the carriage is at the right side, it is docked in its station. You can try to lift up and slide it to the center.

I would recommend to call HP Tech Support for further assistance to see what other options are available for you. Contact HP Worldwide.

Have a nice day.
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Forums go_dores,

I see by your post that the carriage is stuck on the Officejet J6480.
I can help you with this issue today.

Personally, if it was me I wouldn't dismantle my printer.

Is this the document and video you tried?

'Carriage Jam' Message Displays on the Control Panel Display.

Did you try connecting the printer to a wall out and do the reset on the printer?

Try to gently manually move the print carriage from one side to the other.

If the carriage is at the right side, it is docked in its station. You can try to lift up and slide it to the center.

I would recommend to call HP Tech Support for further assistance to see what other options are available for you. Contact HP Worldwide.

Have a nice day.
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Yes, that is the video I tried.

Yes, I have connected it directly to a wall outlet (twice now) and that had no effect on the problem.

Gently moving it accomplishes nothing.  It won't budge.  I tried lifting up on it as I try to move it, but it still won't budge.

I can't get to a phone number from that link you included.  It takes me through the following sequence:

- Asks me where I am.  I select US English

- Asks me whether I want Shopping, Support, or Company.   I select Support.

- Asks me if it is Home or Business.  I select Home.

- Asks me for my product number.  I enter it.

- Asks me what type of support I need.  I select "Solve a Problem"

- It gives me a list of problems to pick from.  I choose "Jams & feed problems"

- It gives me a list of Jams & feed problems.  I select "Carriage Jam".

- It takes me to the list of troubleshooting steps and the video that I have now watched 3 times.

- At the bottom of that article, it says that "fees might apply for contacting HP".  But it doesn't give me a phone number or tell me how I might find one.

Where in that process was the phone number I was supposed to call?

I'm getting the strong feeling that I'm going in circles.

I'm thinking I can replace the printer cheaper than I can have it serviced.  Would you agree?

HP Recommended

Hi go_dores,

I am sorry to hear that you are unable to resolve the carriage jam issue.

It wouldn't hurt to call in to see what options would be available and you can decide from there.

I see what you mean, trying to get the contact number.

Here is the website with the contact number.

Contact Support.

Hours of operation:

7 days a week 24 hours a day

1-800-474-6836 (1-800 HP INVENT)

Thank You. :generic:

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended
This problem happened to me yesterday, also. There is this plastic part blocking the printing carriage. What can I do? I have already done the steps in the video. Any solution? What is this part blocking the carriage?
HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Forums Dwong1991,

I understand you also have a carriage jam and followed all the steps in the video on HP's site.
I can help you with this issue.

The part you are mostly likely asking about would be for the capping station. When the carriage moves over it is docked in its station which prevents them from drying out.

It might not be the printer causing the issue. It could be the power source, make sure the printer is connected directly to a wall outlet. If you want to try another outlet in another room, just to rule that out.

Are you able to move the carriage freely when the power cable is disconnected from the printer?

You can call HP Tech Support for further assistance to see what other options are available for you.

Contact HP Worldwide.

Have a nice day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

The capping station is blocking the carriage.  When the printer is off i need to twist a little the carriage to move it freely.

It is not the power, as i did try on another outlet and room.

Why the capping would not move down?

HP Recommended

I called support and they said they couldn't help me, but did offer me a decent deal on a refurb to replace my current printer.  So it wasn't a waste of my time.  Now that I have no hope of fixing my current printer I may take it apart and try to figure out what was going on.

HP Recommended

Just curious if you ever did find the problem!?!?

I am having the same issue with my 7500 wide format. This seems to be happening to several people, but no answers to fix it other than everyone giving up and buying new! I don't have the money to replace this big thing! So any info you can give me, I would greatly appreciate it!!!

Thanks!!

HP Recommended

Never did figure it out.  Took it in to Staples and let them recycle it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.