Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Top Student
Message 1 of 7 (15,687 Views)
Accepted Solution

Cartridge Error: Cartridge on right must be replaced

HP Officejet 6300, Windows XP,Cartridge Error: Cartridge on right must be replaced

I've had this error message on my wife's printer this last while, so I networked her into my HP Photosmart C7100 to keep her going. After obviously replacing the printer cartridge on the right (black ink), it worked for a week, then started the error message again. I just searched the net for a solution and found the following amazing revelation at;

http://www.brokenmind.co.uk/2009/05/22/cartridge-error-cartridge-on-right-must-be-replaced/

I tried the reset solution option I found there but it did not work. After searching around this forum, I hit on the idea of putting back in the old cartridge as I was convinced there was still ink left in it, so I had kept it. Presto, after a realignment process, the printer is ready back for action again.

This may or may not be a final solution. Who knows what next week will bring, but if anyone else has anything to contribute on this error message, I would be obliged.

0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Re: Cartridge Error: Cartridge on right must be replaced

The company which supplied this non-HP cartridge has acknowledged that there is a mis-read on the chip and requested I go through their reset process i.e. remove the cartridges, remove the power cable from the printer and leave off for 10 minutes. Then re-connect and replace the cartridges again. This did not work either.

The company has indicated that they will now replace the cartridge free-of-charge and take back the old one so they can inspect it further. This is good customer service on their part too. From all of this, we now know there is a recognised fault with chips on cartridges been a source of the problem. Of course HP might say use original cartridges too and you might not encounter the problem at all, or at least the cartridge is definitely out of ink and requires replacement.

View solution in context
Student
Message 2 of 7 (15,657 Views)

It sucks when you have to replacea cartridge that is 3/4 full to fix this error.  This cartridge is not cheap!  I  tried the reset option but did not work.  I'm going to toss this printer and get HPproducts out of my household.  Never again will I buy an HP product.

Top Student
Message 3 of 7 (15,651 Views)

The company which supplied this non-HP cartridge has acknowledged that there is a mis-read on the chip and requested I go through their reset process i.e. remove the cartridges, remove the power cable from the printer and leave off for 10 minutes. Then re-connect and replace the cartridges again. This did not work either.

The company has indicated that they will now replace the cartridge free-of-charge and take back the old one so they can inspect it further. This is good customer service on their part too. From all of this, we now know there is a recognised fault with chips on cartridges been a source of the problem. Of course HP might say use original cartridges too and you might not encounter the problem at all, or at least the cartridge is definitely out of ink and requires replacement.

Student
Message 4 of 7 (15,523 Views)

I have the same error message on my 6310 all in-one.

It is not the first time and I have HP cartridges, I also uplugged for 15 min and tried cartridge again, same message.

I would be grateful for any other solutions.

This is the black ink, happened before!

Top Student
Message 5 of 7 (15,511 Views)

The URL link I referred to previously at

http://www.brokenmind.co.uk/2009/05/22/cartridge-error-cartridge-on-right-must-be-replaced/

makes reference to that customer making a demand from HP to have the printer replaced, particularly if you are using HP cartridges and they are still not empty when the error message occurs. That is one option to pursue.

Also further down the replies at that URL link is a contribution by Biff who as recently as 24 June 2011 suggested an alternative fix with a number of steps and by depressing the ‘#’ and ’3′ keys. This would be the next option to try which has worked for him and others it seems. Try that then, and fingers crossed.

Honor Student
Message 6 of 7 (15,188 Views)

Same problem with my HP 6400. I got my my original HP cartridges refilled by a local vendor. It has been working fine for over 1.5 years until I ran into this error. If this is an intentional HP error to force users to buy expensive HP cartridges, then I am done with HP products.

Honor Student
Message 7 of 7 (15,187 Views)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation