Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 5 (2,548 Views)

Cartridge Error Message

HP Officejet J3680 All-In-One.  Windows 7.  Error Message: " Cartridge Error, Refer to device document to troubleshoot."  I can find nothing in the documentation I have or on the support website that helps.   I have rebooted the compter several times.  Unplugged the printer.  It just keeps flashing red with the error message. 

It happened when I was printing.  It printed about a half page and quit. 

Master's Graduate
Message 2 of 5 (2,536 Views)

Re: Cartridge Error Message

[ Edited ]

Hi Bounderdon,

Here are some steps you can follow. Check this article - Cartridge Error

Workaround: Print in backup mode

If you do not have a replacement cartridge, you can print in backup mode. Remove the problem cartridge, and then print as usual with the remaining cartridge.
  • If you remove the tri-color cartridge, your printouts will be in grayscale (black and white).
  • If you remove the black or photo cartridge, the product will print more slowly. Also, the colors in the printouts might not be exactly as expected.

Hope this helps you!

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Cheers!

* If this post has helped you, the White Kudos star on the left is a great way to say thanks!
* Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem so other users can benefit as well.
Honor Student
Message 3 of 5 (2,510 Views)

Looks like the problem is solved.  As suggested, tried to print in backup mode.  Removed black cartridge and tried to print.  No luck.  Removed color cartridge and it printed.  Replaced color cartridge with new cartridge and it's now back to normal.  Thanks for the help,

Don

Master's Graduate
Message 4 of 5 (2,505 Views)

Hi again!

Glad that it worked for you! Feel free to visit the forums anytime you needed help.

Happy printing!

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Cheers!

* If this post has helped you, the White Kudos star on the left is a great way to say thanks!
* Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem so other users can benefit as well.
Tutor
Message 5 of 5 (2,405 Views)

Can you tell me how to get to "Back up mode?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation