Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you're having print quality issues Click here for more tips!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8720
Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks

I changed the yellow ink and it's still reporting as "depleted"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey there! @cuban_Kraus19, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand you are getting ink depleted after replacing the ink cartridges on your printer.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

Have you tried checking with your old ink cartridge? Do you get the same error?

You can continue printing, press OK on the printer control panel, or click OK on the computer screen to close the message and continue printing.

Refer this article to know more information about ink cartridge issues.

Also, try the steps recommended below.

☑️In some cases, removing the ink cartridges and resetting the printer can clear the error message.
☑️Turn on the printer.
☑️Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
☑️Disconnect the USB cable from the rear of the printer. If your printer has a network or wireless connection, leave it connected.
☑️Remove the ink cartridges from the printer.
☑️With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and from the wall outlet or power strip.
☑️Wait at least 60 seconds.
☑️Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet. 

NOTE:
☑️HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to a wall outlet.
☑️Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
☑️Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
☑️The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.
☑️Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.
☑️Reinsert the ink cartridges, and then close the ink cartridge access door.
☑️If you receive a prompt to print a calibration page, do so.
☑️If you disconnected the USB cable, reconnect it to the rear of the printer.
☑️Try to print.

If the issue persists, continue to the next step.

I'll keep an eye out for your response.

I hope you have a great day!

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hey there! @cuban_Kraus19, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand you are getting ink depleted after replacing the ink cartridges on your printer.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

Have you tried checking with your old ink cartridge? Do you get the same error?

You can continue printing, press OK on the printer control panel, or click OK on the computer screen to close the message and continue printing.

Refer this article to know more information about ink cartridge issues.

Also, try the steps recommended below.

☑️In some cases, removing the ink cartridges and resetting the printer can clear the error message.
☑️Turn on the printer.
☑️Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
☑️Disconnect the USB cable from the rear of the printer. If your printer has a network or wireless connection, leave it connected.
☑️Remove the ink cartridges from the printer.
☑️With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and from the wall outlet or power strip.
☑️Wait at least 60 seconds.
☑️Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet. 

NOTE:
☑️HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to a wall outlet.
☑️Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
☑️Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
☑️The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.
☑️Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.
☑️Reinsert the ink cartridges, and then close the ink cartridge access door.
☑️If you receive a prompt to print a calibration page, do so.
☑️If you disconnected the USB cable, reconnect it to the rear of the printer.
☑️Try to print.

If the issue persists, continue to the next step.

I'll keep an eye out for your response.

I hope you have a great day!

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@cuban_Kraus19,

We haven't heard from you,

This Post is with reference to the thread you had recently created at your friendly neighborhood (HP Forums),

I would like to know if the resolution I had provided worked for you?

Please reply back in your public post as the private message board is not always monitored

If you have any other queries, feel free to reply to Mr.Robot,

And thank you for being a Valuable Member of our HP Family.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,

Followed by clicking on "Accept as Solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.

Have a great day!”

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Thank u so much. Sorry for the delay in my response-I had surgery that was unexpected. Issues resolved.
HP Recommended

@cuban_Kraus19, It's great to hear from you again.

I appreciate your efforts for replying back to us.

I'm sorry to know you had a surgery and I hope you are alright now.

And, I am glad to hear that your issue got resolved.

If you have any queries in future related to any HP products, you can always reach out to us.

We will try our best to help you out.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi there. I have the same problem: I changed the in cartridge to HP 8620 using a new HP Cartridge purchased at Office Depot. The error message continues to report "Cartridge depleted." 

I went through the steps recommended on this page, but I still receive the same message.

I have tried taking the cartridge out and replacing it with the old catridge.

I have tried replacing the new cartridge which sounds full of ink.

I have tried unplugging from the wall - no power strip.

I have tried turning the machine on and off.

Are there other options?

HP Recommended

Hi there again. I just checked the machine after replacing the Black cartridge. This time a blue dot with a C in the middle appeared. Thankfully I had purchased a full set of replacement cartridges. I inserted the C cartridge. I still received an error message. Next the pink M and Yellow Y dots appeared. I replaced those two.

Finally the machine printed.

So the method to reset the printer HP 8720 worked, but to print again, I was forced to replace all the cartridges which did indeed sound empty.

Buyer beware: Buy a full set of replacement cartridges when you purchase this machine. This was the first time that I had to replace the cartridges. I used "genuine" HP Cartridges for the HP 8720 at an Office Depot store.

The HP 8720 showed the Cartridge depleted error message until I used the fix given on this page.

The HP 8720 prints fast and perfectly almost laser quality before and after this fix. I will report back if I have additional problems and issues with the HP 8720.

My laptop is still notifying me that the HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 PCL-3 has cartridge depleted. I do not know how to stop the contined error message on my laptop but at least I can complete a major project tonight during this midnight hour.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.