Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Intern
Message 1 of 59 (5,147 Views)

Changing the default paper size on a C4580

[ Edited ]

Hi guys 'n gals,

I have had an HP PSC1210 happily printing away for several years, even after 3 years in storage but I guess it finally had to die at some stage.

Oh well, and just after I had bought and installed new cartridges as well. Bummer!!

So I go out and I buy a C4580 at a reasonable price  as it seems to get good reviews etc.

Installed it OK using USB for a day or two, then decided to go wireless.

Even that went OK.

However where I have a real problem is that it insists that the paper size be Letter whereas being in an enlightend country we use metric paper, namely A4. Thinking this would be a piece of cake as it was for the PSC1210, I go into Printer Properties and find a whole bunch of Printing Shortcuts.

Great I think, I'll simply change the General Everyday Printing to A4, so I select A4, click on Apply and bingo, success!! Or so I thought.

When I go back into it again it has reverted to Letter. I don't want Letter, I don't use letter - ever - and I don't want to do what seems to be the suggested way of saving  the altered shortcut under a new name, Why in hell should I need to do that???? Why can I not just set my preferences and save it?

Is this just crappy software that HP is using on this or am I missing something pretty fundamental?

I see on some of the forums that someone in the US or Canada is complaining about the self same thing only their's is defaulted to A4 and they want to default to Letter.

Is this bizarre or what!!

An American company sells it's printers in North America with the default set to A4 which is generally not used there, while selling the same thing in Europe and the UK where only A4 is generally used with a default setting of Letter!

Is this a death wish on their part by devising cunning ploy to drive their customers away from their own products to their competitors??

If it is,  it could be succeeding as it's driving me mad trying to find the solution.

If anyone out there in the ether has a solution to this, please, please, as well as posting it here, send it on to HP and encourage them to put it in their bleedin' manual!!! Or at least have somewhere (easily accessable) where one can find this information.

Message Edited by kiwirocker on 09-07-2009 11:08 AM
Message Edited by kiwirocker on 09-07-2009 11:08 AM
0 Kudos
Honor Student
Message 2 of 59 (5,093 Views)

Re: Changing the default paper size on a C4580

Also, if you open the properties tab for the printer in Printers and devices, you can see that the printer informs Windows that 'Available paper sizes' contains only Letter...

The sizes are fairly close to each other, but nevertheless, this is a problem I've never had with any other printer. No wait... this is a problem I've always managed to fix from settings if there was a problem...

I don't even care if this is easily accessible, I just want to fix this...

Intern
Message 3 of 59 (5,004 Views)

OK, so I'm not the only one with this problem!

I've tried the driver on the disk, and I've tried downloading the driver from the HP site, but they both refuse to accept changes to the default Printing Shortcuts.

I've tried hunting in the HP folders created on my disk to find where these Printing Shortcut settings might be stored.  I've tried seaching the registry.

Nothing.

Interestingly, my father-in-law has a Photosmart C4480, which looks identical except it's not wireless-enabled.  The driver for THAT printer allows you to change the default Printing Shortcuts.

I, too, would like HP to tell me how to fix this.  I can't even email them: their website keeps saying "email failed".

Here's hoping!

Intern
Message 4 of 59 (4,995 Views)

[ Edited ]

Finally managed to get an email to HP.

This was the reply:

Dear Frank,

Thank you for contacting HP Customer Care.

I gather from your mail that you are unable to save the printing shortcuts for your
HP Photosmart C4580 printer.

Frank, I understand the importance of the issue and will make sure that I give you appropriate information.

I request you to follow the steps mentioned  below.

1.         Click on 'Windows Logo' and then Click on Control Panel.

2.         Click on Hardware and sound and then Click on Printers.

3.         Right click on printer icon (For Example: HP Photosmart C4580 Series).

4.         Click on printing preferences.

5.         Select the Option “Advanced” and select the desired paper size settings.

6.         Click on Apply and then click 'OK' button.

If you need further assistance, please reply to this message and we will be happy to assist you further.

For information on keeping your HP and Compaq products up and running, please visit our website at: http://www.hp.co.uk/diagnostics 

Sincerely,

Melvin
HP Customer Care

I'm about to reply that, of course, I've tired that AND IT DOESN'T WORK!!!  We're not asking about CHANGING the defaults, it's about SAVING changes to the defaults.

Isn't anyone else affected by this?  Does no-one else care that the printer is set to "Letter" paper size?  Or do most users not even notice? 

Or are the defaults for everyone else set up to "A4" and we have done something different to get "Letter" as the default? If that is the case, it would be really helpful if someone could let us know what to do to get it sorted out.

Message Edited by FrankThompson on 09-29-2009 06:24 AM
Intern
Message 5 of 59 (4,967 Views)

Hey Frank,

Thanks for the posting of the reply from HP.

"Frank, I understand the importance of the issue and will make sure that I give you appropriate information."

Don't you just love this tosh that all "Service Desks" come out with. It's all SOOO sincere and just a bit puke making.

Never mind, back to the problem.

My printer somehow has retained the settings of A4. Unfortunately I haven't a clue how that happened. As I said in my original post it won't let you save

the changed settings under 'Ordinary Everyday Printing' you have to create a new shortcut, but mysteriously it appears to have saved it under the Ordinary

Everyday Printing.(They could have picked a shorter name - like standard printing!!!)

The only thing of note though is that although under Paper Sizes drop down box it says A4, but just above the drop down box where it says Paper sizes opposite

it says 8.27 x 11.69 inches.

I have no idea what it thinks that it is trying to tell me.

Mixed messages or what!!

I suspect that you are right, and no one actually notices that the page size is set ot Letter. It DOES still print OK, but obviously when one tries to change

margins and things it isn't doing what you think that it should.

Oh well, if you get a better reply I would be glad to see it posted.

Intern
Message 6 of 59 (4,962 Views)

[ Edited ]

kiwirocker: Is this what you mean:

1. Open the Printers folder from Control Panel

2. Right-click the C4580 and select Printing Preferences

3. Select "Everyday Printing" (Paper Size is "Letter")

4. Select Paper Size "A4", click Apply, then OK

5.  Right-click the C4580 and select Printing Preferences: "Everyday Printing" with "A4" is still selected

That's fine, but if you click away to another shortcut, then back again, the paper size reverts back to "Letter"; or is that not what you're getting? I want all of the shortcuts using "A4", whether I click away from them or not.

By the way, got another reply from HP (looks like they just want me to reinstall the driver):

Dear Frank,

I gather from your mail that under the printing shortcuts if you make any changes to the paper size and then click apply, it will revert back to letter.

Frank, I request you to follow the steps mentioned below..

Reconfigure Printer: Make sure the unit is disconnected to the computer.

1.      Log in to your computer as an Administrator

2.      Click on 'Windows Logo' button.

3.      Click on 'Control Panel' Click on 'Hardware and Sounds'.

4.      Click 'Printers'.

5.      Delete the HP Photosmart C4580 Series printer icon from the 'Printers' folder.

6.      Click on the File option in the menu bar on the top left corner of the window.

7.      Click on 'Run as Administrator'.(if you do not get this option then I request you to ignore this step and follow the next step)

8.      Again click on the File option in the menu bar on the top left corner of the window.

9.      Click on 'Server Properties' and then click on 'Driver' tab.

10.  Click on the appropriate printer driver, For Example: HP Photosmart C4580 Series.

11.  Click on 'Remove'. If you get a confirmation message, Select the option 'Delete driver and Driver package' and then click OK and continue with ongoing instructions.

12.  Restart the computer.

13.  Connect the printer cable (USB) to the computer (to the port on back of the computer's tower).    

You will get a 'Found New Hardware' message.     

Proceed with the onscreen instructions to complete the wizard.

Once this is done then try selecting the paper size in the printing shortcuts and verify if the settings have been saved.If you need further assistance, please reply to this message and we will be happy to assist you further.For information on keeping your HP and Compaq products up and running, please visit our website at: http://www.hp.co.uk/diagnostics 

Sincerely,

Melvin
HP Customer Care

Going to try that tonight when I get home.  We'll see...

Message Edited by FrankThompson on 09-30-2009 08:49 AM
Intern
Message 7 of 59 (4,966 Views)

Hi Frank,

Yup! You got it. Every time you go to another shortcut, which I was doing to see if they needed changing to A4 as well , and when you go back it reverts to Letter.

Yes, that does sound like a re-install of the driver doesn't it.

I can't be absolutely positive, but I seem to remember that I have already tried that, and I think that came about because after installing under USB, after a

couple ofdays I then set it up for wireless, which, when I tried to use it a day or two later, it wouldn't connect so I plugged the USB back in to do it all over again.

I think in trying to re-establish the wireless side, that I may well have re-installed, but I don't think that's what caused it to stay at A4.

Nope, I just tried it and if you go to another shortcut, then go back it reverts to Letter. Ho hum!!

Touch wood, but the wireless side seems to be holding up now, but a friend is still having problems with losing the wireless connection, which I am

investigating for her to find out why.

I will be interested (and surprised) if your reinstall dixes the probelm, but keep it posted please. I have a wireless connection to follow up!!!

Intern
Message 8 of 59 (4,965 Views)

.......or 'fixes the problem'......

Fingers!

Intern
Message 9 of 59 (4,951 Views)

No, it didn't fix the problem.

I'm using the following driver: File Version 0.3.6002.18005 ; Product Version 6.0.6002.18005; Language English (United States).

I keep asking where the settings are stored: they MUST be read from somewhere?

Intern
Message 10 of 59 (4,934 Views)

[ Edited ]

I think Melvin is admitting defeat:

Dear Frank,

I gather from your mail that you have followed the steps mentioned in the previous email but the issue still persists.

Frank, I would like to inform you that driver version 6.0.6002.18005 is the latest driver and there are no options wherein you can change from "US English" to "GB English".

Once you are about to save the printing shortcuts then please name the shortcut as well and verify the results.

If you need further assistance, please reply to this message and we will be happy to assist you further.

For information on keeping your HP and Compaq products up and running, please visit our website at: http://www.hp.co.uk/diagnostics 

Sincerely,

Melvin
HP Customer Care

I'm going to tell Melvin that I KNOW how to set up my own Printing Shortcuts.  The point is, I don't want the defaults (all set to "Letter") that come with the printer cluttering up the screen, especially as the kids who use the printer are not going to know any different and just click "General Everyday Printing" and get the printout in "Letter" format.

I think I'm going to try downloading a French version of the driver PS_AIO_04_C4500_USW_Basic_Win_fra_120_210_NB.exe, (1/1 , 56.12M)

and see if that has "A4" set as the default.  If it does, but the text in the Printing Preferences screen is all in French, I might be able to find where it does the translation.

Or, better still, maybe HP could supply a printer driver that works properly in the UK?  If they can set up versions that work in France, why can't they do it for the UK? 

Someone needs to tell the Americans at HP that, just because they speak a langauge that is somewhat similar to English, that doesn't mean that the rest of the English-speaking world uses the same spelling, currency, date format, units of measure or PAPER SIZES!

Message Edited by FrankThompson on 10-01-2009 05:48 AM
Message Edited by FrankThompson on 10-01-2009 05:55 AM
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation