cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
11 2 0 1
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Solved!

Changing the name of a printer in my LAN

HP Recommended

I just purchased the Officejet 6500A Plus. When installing it on my Mac OS Lion network I renamed it Library Printer to differentiate it from our bonus room printer. When printing from any of our Macs it appears correctly as "Library Printer" but when attempting a print job from our iPhones or iPads it appears in the native "Officejet 6500 E710n-z  [58D29C]" which is cumbersome looking and confusing to the ladies of the house. Why don't the mobile devices see the printer's ASSIGNED name?

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 16
Level 16
28,933 28,653 4,997 11,356
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Any iDevice will locate your printer Bonjour Service name.

In order to change the Bonjour name, you may change it from the printer Embeded Web Server.

Be aware:  as your Mac OS relies on the Bonjour Service, changing the name may affect the connection of the Mac OS with the printer. If there is any problem printing from your Mac after changing the name, remove the existing print queue under System Preferences > Print & Scan. Then reconfigure it by running the HP Setup Assistant (Under Applicaions > Hewllet-Packard > Device Utilities)

1. From your Mac, open Safari,
  2. Click the bookmarks icon (the open book on the left side of the top Safari bar)
  3. Click Bonjour
  4. Double click the printer name to open the EWS
  5. Click the Network tab
  6. Click Bonjour (Under Advanced Settings)
  7. Change the Bonjour Service Name according your needs.

Now both the Mac OS and iOS will list the printer as the configured Bonjour Service Name

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos thumb up in the post.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
11 2 0 1
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Worked like a charm. Thanks so much.

Rick

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Please how do i resolve this on Computers running Windows OS

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
394 960 38 154
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi KUNLEADE,

What is the "Product or FPU" number of the printer that you have? If you're not sure, watch the video from the link below:

http://goo.gl/93jp7W

Thank you,

I worked on behalf of HP.
0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation