Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I am getting a comm error 283 when trying to receive some faxes. Anyone know what is causing this and does it have anything to do with comm error 232?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

283 and 232 communication errors are usually caused by excessive line noise.  Sometimes a retry will transmit the fax successfully.  Try turning off ECM and V.34 to V.14 from the Control Panel of the CLJ 2840.  This will turn off the Error Correction Mode (ECM) and also slow the modem speed down.  Toggling these settings will sometimes allow faxes to transmit properly if comm errors are seen. 

Since comm errors are legitimate transmission errors- turning off ECM will allow faxes to transmit- but the data on the received or sent printed fax may not be as good a quality as a fax sent or received with ECM turned on.  From the Control Panel on the CLJ2840 print out a Menu Map to find these two Settings for ECM and V.34.  Try toggling ECM to OFF and turn V.34 to the V.17.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi -

We are having the very same issue. comm error 283 when someone is trying to fax us.

ANyone help??

HP Recommended

Hi,

283 and 232 communication errors are usually caused by excessive line noise.  Sometimes a retry will transmit the fax successfully.  Try turning off ECM and V.34 to V.14 from the Control Panel of the CLJ 2840.  This will turn off the Error Correction Mode (ECM) and also slow the modem speed down.  Toggling these settings will sometimes allow faxes to transmit properly if comm errors are seen. 

Since comm errors are legitimate transmission errors- turning off ECM will allow faxes to transmit- but the data on the received or sent printed fax may not be as good a quality as a fax sent or received with ECM turned on.  From the Control Panel on the CLJ2840 print out a Menu Map to find these two Settings for ECM and V.34.  Try toggling ECM to OFF and turn V.34 to the V.17.

HP Recommended

Hi,

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.