cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
SLHumenik
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Competing wireless printers 6980 and 6100 Photosmart

I have a Photosmart wireless that was working great and was a dream to install.  Bought my daughter a 6980 which I've tried to install but cannot get network to recognize it..  And I've just realized that the drivers installed for the 6980 have confused the Photosmart - it thinks its the 6980 as that's where test prints have gone.  I believe I now have to reload 6100 on network.  Everything is a mess.  Can I only have one HP wireless on network at one time.  Do I need to connect 6980 directly to my daughter's laptop (VISTA).  I don't think this is a Vista issue - some sort of wireless issue...I think.  Need some advise please!  Thanks.
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Level 8
1,537 1,533 81 399
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

THREAD EDITED BY GARENT (ADMIN). Please read past this post for better information in a later post.

You can have many wireless-printers on your network.  Each one should get it's own print queue and there shouldn't be any interference.  For example, I have six active wireless printers on my home network.

Let's check a few things.

1. What is the IP address of the Photosmart 6100 (can be found by printing the network configuration front the printer's front panel setup menu)?
  2. What is the IP address of the Deskjet 6980 (can be found by pressing the check-mark button on the printer's front panel)?
  3. What is the IP address of the Vista laptop and your computer (can be found by executing the ipconfig command from the DOS prompt and looking for the IPv4 address).

Next, what kind of wireless-router are you using?

Finally, download and run this tool ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/ndu/HPHNDU_1023.exe from the Vista laptop.  It will search for and display all the printers on your network.  Tell me if the tool finds both of your printers.

Until we get things sorted out, you should delete the Deskjet printer from the Printers folder (under Vista's Control Panel).  I'm curious if this allows you to print to the 6100 again.  If you can't, turn off the Deskjet and power cycle the Photosmart and tell me if that recovers your ability to print.
Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
0 Kudos
f2point8
Level 5
146 140 10 89
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

A newer version of the tool mentioned in Wi-Fi-Guy's post can be found here: HP Home Network Diagnostic Utility

(the old version mentioned in Wi-Fi-Guy's post is obsolete and will be removed soon)

Kent G.

Kent G.
HP Retired, however my posts and replies are my own, not HP's.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
See a great post? Give it a Kudos!
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation