Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am afraid that I am going to have to agree with Strmrcm on this one. Generally speaking, converting a device from parallel to USB is not going to work with this device. Some devices, yes, the process does work because the basic language is able to transfer from point A to point B. However, in this instance the barrier is too great and you are not going to be able to transfer information without a high degree of bit-loss (information loss). 

I would recommend using a newer printer which supports USB to correct this issue. 

Let me know if this information is useful! 

I hope you are having a wonderful week, and I hope that the weather where you are located is as beautiful there as it is here! 

-Spencer 

HP Recommended

Hello,

My case is the same, the HP Laserjet 6L printer no longer communicating with the Windows 8 Pro. He has run for three months with a USB parallel adapter.

I updated the driver and remove the registry. I just returned from the start but no way to contact the printer again.

Thank you for helping me if you find a solution.

HP Recommended

Have you tried removing the driver entirely from your computer and reinstalling from the driver downloads here :

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/ProductList.jsp?locale=en_us&taskId=135&prodSeriesI...

Let me know and I will get right back with you! 

-Spencer 

HP Recommended

This manipulation has been done, I took the driver from HP, uninstall the driver, reboot, then install the drivers.

If you have solutions

HP Recommended

Carrecarotte, from your response I can tell that you performed the recommended steps, but I can't tell from your follow up comment what the results are. What happened? 

Just so you know, in many situations, converting a device from parallel to USB is a process that may work, may not, or may work intermittently. It is a function of the fact that the "language" being spoken from the machine is very different than the one that is currently used. Essentially it would be like trying to speak modern English to someone from the 1600's. While a certain degree will be understood by both parties, there will be a lot of information which is not. 

Let me know and I will get right back with you! 

-Spencer 

HP Recommended

Hello,

The result of the manipulation: The printer is recognized, it prints, but incomprehensible pages. Regarding your assumption miscommunication.
What's weird is that the printer has run for two months.

In any case the solution we took was to change to a newer printer directly connected via USB.

I'm still waiting for a solution if it is offered to you.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

if the pages that came out were incomprehensible, that might be an issue with the USB cord / parallel adapter. As I said in my previous posts the conversion is a hit-and-miss (mostly miss in the cases I have worked with) process and generally leads to communication issues.

I am glad that you have resolved the issue through a newer machine.  

Have a wonderful day, and enjoy the rest of the week. 

-Spencer 

HP Recommended

i work 6L with Win XP Sp - 3 Now I want work  6L in Win 7.  told me how i Connect  printer in Win 7 if drivers necessary pl. send me drivers

HP Recommended

I agree with the rest directly connecting a laptop to your Laserjet 6L does not work.  If all you have is a laptop you will need to upgrade to a USB printer. What I ended up doing was added a PCI -Parallel Port card to my Desktop machine and added it to my laptop as a network printer.

HP Recommended
I am also looking for a way to connect the parallel interconnect of an HP LaserJet6L to an XP-driven clone PC and a W8-driven Dell PC. How to?
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.