Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I need to be able to print on paper that is 6.5inx10in. Is there a way to change the paper size on an HP OfficeJet Pro 8600?

Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi,

Loading papers the right way probably will solve this problem. Please use instructions from the following manual (page #27):

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c03026243/c03026243.pdf

Hope this helps.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

@banhien wrote:

Hi,

Loading papers the right way probably will solve this problem. Please use instructions from the following manual (page #27):

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c03026243/c03026243.pdf

Hope this helps.

Thanks, but it really doesn't help. I have a 6.5x10 inch sheet of paper. That size paper isn't an option in the 'paper size' portion of the print properties and I can't find a way to set the size. My Lexmark did ths just fine.

Kim

HP Recommended
Hey Kim,

Great question. The driver designed for the HP Officejet Pro 8600 only has specifically pre-designed paper sizes and no allowance for using custom paper size management.

However, check out Shane_R's thread on using an alternate driver located here.

Try using the HP Deskjet 9800 driver, because it is compatible with the 8600 and will have the custom paper size management you are seeking.

Hope this helps.
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

@jason_h wrote:
Hey Kim,

Great question. The driver designed for the HP Officejet Pro 8600 only has specifically pre-designed paper sizes and no allowance for using custom paper size management.

However, check out Shane_R's thread on using an alternate driver located here.

Try using the HP Deskjet 9800 driver, because it is compatible with the 8600 and will have the custom paper size management you are seeking.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for trying to help. However, I could not load a new driver (the sofware didn't give me the option). I just changed the design of the thing I was tryiing to print.

Kim

HP Recommended

I have Windows 7 and my printer is the HP OfficeJet Pro 8600. I was able to print on small pieces of paper by changing the Page Layout on my computer (not the printer):

1) click on Edit on the Menu Bar (at the top left corner on any Windows page) and choose "Page Setup" from the drop-down menu

2) in the "Page Size" drop-down menu, choose the size of paper you are printing on (for example, I used 5x7)

I didn't have to make any changes to my printer settings; they changed automatically.

After I printed what I wanted on small paper, I simply clicked on the Menu Bar's Edit button again, clicked on "Page Setup," and changed the "Page Size" back to "Letter" so that I could print on letter-sized paper again.

HP Recommended

After er, screwing with this for a while, I found that using a design program like Photoshop helped.  I was able to use the nearest size 'standard' paper.

1) Set up the file with the 'standard' paper size that the HP demands, choosing the 'close enough, next size bigger' size that matches your art.

2) Place your graphics starting in the upper left corner but size them at the actual size you want.  (This will mean there's blank space to the right and on the bottom.)  So, for example, I was printing 5.5" x 7.5" pages, so I created an A5 sized page but my 5.5x7.5 art was left- and top-aligned, leaving 3/4" on the bottom and about a half an inch on the right side blank...but filling the rest of the A5 page, at least as much as the printer knows.

3) Set your printer paper to the 'standard' size in the print driver.  (In my case, A5)

4) Center the image in the print dialog box (since it will start with upper left anyway).  Eliminate any 'offset' that may appear in the print dialog box.

5) Put your custom paper in the printer, and print to the "standard" closest size. 

I found this will even work on Borderless printing.  I was able to print the 5.5" x 7.5" art on that custom sized paper, using the Borderless A5 page setting and it worked fine. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the tip avlady!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

Having the same problem with being unable to print 6"x9" to an HP 8600 using Microsoft Publisher on a Windows 7 computer. Can't download the 9800 driver. Is there a more elegant solution then what was proposed above using Photoshop? Maybe should have sprung for a more expensive printer.

HP Recommended

I have tried every remedy and it still does NOT print my custom 10" x 6.45" invitations.  I've wasted 15 of these expensive items!  I added different drivers but it may print 1 out of 10 tries.  I'm at the end of my rope and these were due out in the mail 2 days ago.

What else can I do? The printer settings display shows letter size. Once I saw it say custom with the dimentions, but just once.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.