cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Blackavar
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post

D4260 printing HP test page fine, not printing yellow otherwise

HP Recommended
HP Deskjet D4260
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

Got an issue with our household Deskjet D4260, something I've not seen before.  When printing from MS Word (2003) my wife found that her colours were coming out wrong, and a diagnostic print of a page with Cyan/Magenta/Yellow stripes showed that yellow was not being printed - or not much, you could just make out a little yellow around the edges of the area that was supposed to be filled.

I installed the latest HP Solution Center package and got the HP Diagnotics working - got that to clean the heads then print off a diagnostics page.  This page looked fine - yellow block, nice and sharp, near the top where I expected it.

Print the other C/M/Y striped page again, thinking that had fixed it.  Same result.  Big cyan block, big magenta block, (effectively) no yellow.

Worth mentioning that we believe the printer was working correctly prior to being upgraded to Windows 10.  Clearly we've installed the HP Solution Center - I let that detect the printer and install drivers etc.

Anyone have any ideas?  My wife uses this for out-of-hours work, and not having it available to print in colour will be really annoying.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
RnRMusicMan
Retired
Retired
14,802 13,833 749 1,784
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Blackavar,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand that the yellow ink is not printing with your HP Deskjet D4260 printer on the Windows 10 Operating System. I am happy to help! 

Are you using Genuine HP ink cartridges, or refills? 

In the meantime, please try the steps within this guide, Missing Colors in Printout, and let me know the results!

Hope this resolves your issue! :generic:

“Please click the Thumbs up icon below to thank me for responding.”

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

Blackavar
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @RnRMusicMan,

Thanks for responding.  I'd already seen the guidance page you've linked to; the diagnostics self-test page that the guide refers to is printing perfectly - all colours, no smearing or fuzzy edges on the inked areas, and all the colours look correct.

When I went to print a test page I found online: https://www.systeminsight.co.uk/downloads/Canon_Printheads/A4_Test_Print_CMY.gif

I found that I got a solid block of Cyan, a solid block of Magenta (fine so far) and a faintly magenta-speckled block instead of the yellow one, with a barely-visible yellow outline to it.  I'd assume this was  a printer driver issue if I hadn't just installed the HP Solution Center and had it install the printer for me.

Any ideas as to what I can do next?  I still have the printout of the CMY test page if you'd like me to take a picture of it and upload it.

Regards,

Blackavar

0 Kudos
RnRMusicMan
Retired
Retired
14,802 13,833 749 1,784
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Blackavar.

I would suggest to go through this guide, Continued Troubleshooting When the Self-Test Page Does Not Show Defects. If this does not solve yoru issue, the printer will need to be serviced/or replaced. Please contact HP, phone support for further assistance. (After you fill out the information, you will be given a phone number.) If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. Country-language selector.

Best regards! :generic:

“Please click the Thumbs up icon below to thank me for responding.”

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Blackavar
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well, I think I have a partial solution to the problem - although I'm viewing it more as an interesting point in my quest to get this printer to work normally.

I read the 'continued troubleshooting' page, and appear to have come up with something useful; if I set the print quality to 'Fast Draft' or 'Best' and print off my previously mentioned Cyan/Magenta/Yellow test page then it prints the yellow block.  It only fails to print correctly from the yellow print head with 'Normal' quality selected.

I'm viewing this as a software driver failure on Windows 10 - it was printing fine on Windows 7, and a change to the software settings is making the yellow print head produce output as normal.

Any method of escalation on this?  The MS Windows 10 compatibility site lists this printer as compatible (with software download, which I'm going to assume is the latest driver as installed by the HP Support Center), and I'm concerned that this information is currently misleading.  I'd also really like it if this otherwise reliable printer worked correctly for my wife - while I'm sure she'll be pleased she can print out in 'Best' quality to get things done, it's very slow and appears to be using a lot of ink.

Regards,

Blackavar

0 Kudos
RnRMusicMan
Retired
Retired
14,802 13,833 749 1,784
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this post has instructions.

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Tortax
5 5 0 0
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

Has this problem been fixed, after it was reported to the appropriate team within HP?

I still have this problem on WIN 10 64bit.

Diagnostic page 100% ok

Win7 print 100% ok

Win10 print missing some color as you can see in this picture

Win10:

Printing processor: hpzppw71/RAW

Photo cartridge not installed (maybe win10 driver thinks it is?)

Installed driver: DJ_SF_NonNet_Full_Win_WW_140_404-4.exe

D4200 series D4260 (0.3.7071.0) 6.1.7600.16385

driver info

BallonsInFloweredTree2

HP test image ballonsinfloweredtree2

0 Kudos
A4Apollo
Retired
Retired
17,747 17,730 1,301 2,076
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Tortax, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand you have issues printing yellow color from your printer.

Don't worry I'd like to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

Please try the steps recommended below.

Open the Print dialog box to check the print settings:
In the software program you are trying to print from, click File and then click Print. The Print dialog box opens.
Make sure that your product is selected, and then click Preferences. The Preferences dialog box opens.
Click the Paper/Quality tab.
Make any necessary changes to the print settings from the Features tab. The following options are print settings that might need to be changed, depending on the quality of the printout.
Print quality: If you are unhappy with the quality of your printouts, try increasing the print quality. To print more quickly, try decreasing the print quality.
Paper Options – Type is: Click the drop-down box under Type is. If one of the options matches your paper type exactly, click it rather than Automatic.
Paper Options – Size is: Make sure that this setting matches the paper loaded in the product.
Print All Text as Black: Prints all text characters as black, regardless of the document color settings for text. Use this option if you want to continue printing the document in black and white only.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot missing colors in the printout.

I'll keep an eye out for your response.  

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Tortax
5 5 0 0
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @MrRobot,

Thanks for your reply.

I've tried all of the above to no avail.
The only thing that works, as mentioned by others before, is setting the print quality to best.
This results in a good picture with the right colors, but it is slow and uses more ink for everyday use.

Right now I'm launching a Win7 Virtual Machine on my Win 10 Machine every time I need to print, because in Windows 7 all prints well with the exact same settings as I have in Win 10.

So it can't be hardware fault either.

This also leads me to beleve it is a driver related issue.

Kind regards

Tortax

0 Kudos
A4Apollo
Retired
Retired
17,747 17,730 1,301 2,076
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Tortax, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

As you mentioned the issue still persists after trying out the steps.

Please install windows built in drivers and check if it helps.

Refer this article to know how to install printer built-in drivers on your PC.

Let me know if this works!

Have a pleasant day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation