cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ScrewedOverByHP Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

DMA Timeout Error

Changing to XP-64Bit, I installed the software for my HP Scanjet 8270, and haven't been able to scan ever since.  I continuously get a DMA Timeout error.  If I let it sit for a while, eventually I get an HP-CUE Scanning Flow Component error, and then an automatic application/shutdown error window with the AppName: hpqkygrp.exe, AppVer: 9.0.0.257 details.  After 2 solid weeks of back and for with the pathetic HP non-Support, I haven't gotten anywhere.  I have uninstalled/re-installed, downloaded their latest FULL version, this thing just doesn't work.  It doesn't work with the XP scan wizard either.  It gets about a 1/3 of the page and then just hangs in the scanner with a DMA Timeout error.  Please help !!!
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
UMAS Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

DMA Timeout Error

I'm having the same problem. My scanner is a HP ScanJet 8250. I'm using Adobe Pro Extended & Windows Fax & Scan programs. Currently running Windows 7 (64 bit) Professional on an Intel i7-2600 CPU with 4x2.00GB of DDR3-1333 RAM

When using the feeder tray, it will either feed 3/4 of a page before timing out or it will not scan anything at all. When using the flatbed, the scanning bulb will move down the glass but then stop at the end and timeout.

I did have this scanner fuctioning properly on another computer using Windows 7 (64 bit) Ultimate but the hardware specs elude me at this point in time. I saw there was a firmware update for previous generations of Windows but nothing for Windows 7.

So far I have tried uninstalling & reinstalling the driver. Switching through every USB port on the tower. And I've swapped out the USB cable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
UMAS Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

DMA Timeout Error

I swapped out the 6' USB cable with a 3' USB cable (previously a 6' for another 6') and it now everything runs fine.  Looks like these USB ports on this specific computer do not like the longer cables. I have 2 other computers using the same scanner model, one with Win7(64) Ultimate and the other with Win7(32) Pro but both are Dell PCs. This new computer is a Lenovo. Also make sure that you are using the correct speed: USB 2.0 instead of 1.0 or 3.0

0 Kudos
nthusha Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

DMA Timeout Error

My HP Scanjet 8200 series scanner also giving same DMA timeout error after installing to a new Dell I5 Desktop PC. i downloaded and install the firmware suggested by HP but the problem is still same. then i connected the scanner to the old pc which was connected earlier and with that old Desktop pc the scanner working with out  giving any error. so, i assumed something wrong with the drivers in the new pc, so , i installed drivers again to the new pc and connected the scanner but still its giving DMA timeout.  i tried with changing USB cable also . but no result.  i highly appreciate if someone can give me a better idea. 

0 Kudos
mrbroschat Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

DMA Timeout Error

I run a Windows 7 64 machine with my HP 8300. It has been a successful combination for years. I keep the computer in a corner of the room, and run keyboard and mouse on USB extension cables. I have an extra such extension cable plugged in for use with any of the perhaps hundred different USB devices I've connected successfully over the past few years.

That is why I poo-poo'd the recommendations to use a short cable. Everything else has worked fine, and I brought the scanner over to the computer when needing to do some serious scanning. But, evidently, I did not use the extension cable, because when I just now plugged the stock USB cable from the HP directly into my computer USB port, it worked without fail.

Conclusion: whatever it is that constitutes scanning (through USB?), it cannot withstand a cable length of more than whatever the stock cable is (5 feet?).

Michael Broschat

0 Kudos
Mike1476 Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

DMA Timeout Error

Michael Broschat you are so right! I pulled every trick in the book to get the HP 8300 to work then I read your post and went to a 3 foot USB cable and WhaLa!...it worked first try out of the shoot! (I was using a 6 ft cable) Thank You for your post!

Mike M, Webmaster

Sandy Historical Museum

Sandy, Oregon

0 Kudos
Paul_of_Chester Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

DMA Timeout Error

I was smart enough to try different USB cables but I did not try a shorter one. Once I went to a 3 foot cable it instantly started to scan correctly without a DMA timeout error.

0 Kudos
Krokiet Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

DMA Timeout Error

I was about to get rid of some cables, including very short, useless 3FT USB cable. Thanks God I found this page. HP 8250 was on the top of my wardrobe for probably more than 5Y due to this error and having no dedicated drivers for Windows 7. Now is back on duty J

THANKS for this hint!!!

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation