cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
IRollman
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

DesignJet 4000ps Hard Drive Secure Erase

HP Recommended
4000ps
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

We are closing out a project for a secure client, and I need to erase the hard drive on the plotter. How is this done, so as to still leave the plotter operational?

Thanks,

Irv

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Mikeg81
Level 10
Level 10
2,276 2,271 113 241
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Access the Service Utilities Menu and do Sanitize Level and Disk Wipe.

The Disk Wipe is DoD 5220.22-M

Best regards

Mike G

I'm an HP Inc employee. But my response is not in behalf of HP Inc
0 Kudos
IRollman
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK, two questions/ scenarios:

1. How do I get to the "Service Utilities" menu? It's not obvious standing in front of the plotter. (Caveat: I'm doing this remotely, having an end-user do it for me over the phone.)

2. If I pull the hard drive and sanitize/ reformat, will it "brick" the plotter? Is that hard drive then re-usable by the plotter, if formatted correctly? And what's the correct format (FAT, FAT32, NTFS, etc.)?

Sorry to be obtuse....

Irv

0 Kudos
Mikeg81
Level 10
Level 10
2,276 2,271 113 241
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

You dont have to remove the HDD from the printer.

I dont think you will be able to remove it to wipe it as it is encripted. But any way, dont do it.

The Firmware is on the HDD, if you wipe the HDD and remove the Fw, you will not be able reinstall it.

To enter Service Utility

- Access the Setup Menu

- Press Up Arrow and X keys at the same time

- Select Service Utilities

Best regards

Mike G

0 Kudos
Martari
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Question for Mikeg81, 

Is there any way to check if the Firmware and data is still  on the HDD?? (while the plotter is not functional)

I've connected the HP designjet4000 HDD to a PC in order to see if the HDD is working, in Windows and Ubuntu also.

Windows disk manager shows "Not initialized" but recognize the name and capacity of 40G while,

Ubuntu disk manager shows "Unknown" also recognizing the 40G size of it.

You said earlier that the HDD it is encripted, is this the reason why I get "Not initialized"/"Unknown"?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Mikeg81
Level 10
Level 10
2,276 2,271 113 241
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

If ur computer see the HDD, you hear the HDD spinning, I consider the HDD is ok

Yes, Becuase of the encription you cannot see the content

Best regards

Mike G

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation