Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 6 (5,930 Views)

Designjet 430 and Windows 8 - 64bit problem

Wanted to see if anybody could give me some advice on how to get my designjet 430 to work with Windows 8, 64 bit.  I was able to get Autocad 2005 to work. and I was able to get the Designjet 430 installed with Windows Vista 64 drivers.  but it's not communicating with the computer.  When I go to print, it just says error. First thing I did was plug in the plotter and it made an icon under Printers in the Control Panel that says IEEE-1284 Controller.  But it doesn't pull up as a printer when I go to plot.  Then I  used the command ADD Printer in the Control Panel and loaded in the windows vista 64 drivers.  I did it manually and I gave the path to the drivers that I had downloaded.  I didn't really understand when it asked for a port, but left the first one that was there which was LPT1 I think.  I looked under Plotter Manager in Autocad 2005 and did not see the plotter in there, don't know if it should be there or not.  Also, after I added the plotter under Printers in the Control Panel, it still had the icon of IEEE-1284 Controller also.  I figure that's probably not right that it shows that icon and the designjet 430 icon.  Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

0 Kudos
Master's Graduate
Message 2 of 6 (5,908 Views)

Re: Designjet 430 and Windows 8 - 64bit problem

I'd be surprised if you got it to work properly on windows 8, as it truly isn't compatible unless you can find someone who has a special driver that may not be from HP. 

As far as the port goes, that is the address for the prints to go to, so if that is not right you won't be able to print.  When it asks for a port, that depends on how you have it connected, lpt1 is for a parallel cable, if you are using usb then you must choose that option, if using a network type card then the port with an IP address must be created.

You didn't mention how this is connected to your workstation.

Message 3 of 6 (5,827 Views)

I ran into this problem this week and the fix was easier than expected.   Client has a brand new Dell PC with Windows 8 64 bit.  The plotter worked fine with her XP machine, refused to work with Windows 8.  She was hooking it up with a Centronics to USB cable.  I went out and bought a PCI parallel adapter card (in my case a 1 Port PCI Express Parallel Adapter Card - SPP/EPP/ECP) and hooked up the DesignJet 430 to this card using the old Centronics to 25-pin cable, you know, the old printer cables from back in the day :smileyhappy:

Windows 8 picked up the printer immediately and loaded the Windows drivers (do not use HP's drivers, let Windows 8 handle it).  Started Autocad, started a plot and it worked perfectly.  The parallel card is a $30 item at TigerDirect or even cheaper online.  The cable can be bought for $5 online as well.  Now this DesignJet430 has tons of life still left in it and I saved my client a bundle of money by not having to buy a new plotter.

Honor Student
Message 4 of 6 (5,501 Views)

I also have a Dell with w8 64 bit and a Design Jet 430.  I put a PCI express parallel card in, and found my old 25 pin cable.  Windows recognized the printer as a 430, but could not locate any drivers and neither could the hp site.  Can you help with finding the drivers?  Thanks.

Honor Student
Message 5 of 6 (5,480 Views)

Success finally with above mentioned parallel card and xp 64 driver.  Hooray.

Honor Student
Message 6 of 6 (2,780 Views)

I just upgraded my pc to windows 10 and my designjet 430 stopped working

I had it working on windows 8.1 (64 bit) by connecting it to a parallel board i installed like the forum showed.

I was hoping that upgrading to wondows 10 will just pick it up but it did not.

any ideas out there

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation