Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
I'm working on this post while stuck in traffic in Baltimore.

I went to look at a designjet that wouldn't load paper and was damaging the paper the customer said on the left side.

When I got there it was powered off and after turning it on and trying to load paper it looks like the paper fed through and actually was crinkling on the right side.

I opened the access cover and found that paper had fed in past the star wheels and almost looked like it had bumped up against the second set of star wheels at the exit to the Stacker.

I trimmed the paper and tried to feed it again and this time it ended up with a buckle on the left side and the Carriage ran into it causing in 86:01.

Somewhere in here the machine decide it wasn't going to load paper at all I would power cycle things and get it to the point where it said no paper and I would open roll one cover and start the paper in the feed path and it would act like it was going to load but never move the paper forward and eventually say cancelling load and come up with the 81:01.

Unfortunately I ran out of time and had to leave without any further troubleshooting.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi SH,

The following is from the Manual

81:01 Paper servo shutdown, possible paper jam
If this error is reported during printer setup, it may indicate that the printer has been dropped during
transportation, causing structural damage. Before continuing with the 81:01 troubleshooting, first look for
structural damage. To identify the structural damage, look for the following three things:
● Persistent 81:01 error codes
● Platen fingers rubbing on the roller surface, leaving black marks on the roller
● A gap in the platen beam. If there is any gap in the vertical direction between the plastic of the platen
and the metal side plate, then the chassis is damaged and the printer cannot be repaired.
If no structural damage, continue with these steps:
Call agent:
1. Check for any visible obstacles restricting the movement of the drive roller. If there is a wrinkled mass
of paper inside the paper path, lift the pinchwheels and clear the obstruction.
2. Perform the paper drive diagnostic test to troubleshoot the problem further.
Service engineer:
110 Chapter 3 System error codes ENWW
1. Check the connections on the engine PCA; the paper advance drive is connected to the connector labeled
Paper Motor.
2. Adjust the encoder disc and motor mount configuration using the paper advance drive installation
instructions.
3. Replace the paper advance drive.

I have also seen issues with the Stacker cause the roll not to feed but usually get a Stacker error.

Is the printer in a dusty environment?

Remove the right side and check that the encoder disk is clean - remve and clean the encoder sensor(s).

Use the adjustment tool and reset the drive transmission (I hope you have the tool). you get the tool if you order a new paper drive transmission.

Have you tried a factory reset from the front panel? dont forget to reset the time/date.time zone and the units once this is done.

Good Luck,

Roy K

HP Recommended
I do not have the tool, but this machine is still in warranty for about another month and I might end up ordering the part of which you speak.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

HP Recommended
I went to the site with a media advance assembly and started looking at the machine and realized there was a paper jam that I had missed the other day.

I attempted to load paper and did not get an 81:01 error, I was back-to the original problem where paper was feeding in and hitting a set of rollers that we're not turning and buckling at that point.

This time I had the manual with me, don't tell the guys at the shop, and realized it was the overdrive rollers that were not turning.

I removed the right side cover and found a gear loose on its mounting shaft.

This gear comes with the starwheel motor assembly.

I'm also having problems with an intermittent 79:04 error, hopefully HP support will be able to give me some assistance with that. I have sent pictures of the extended information you get when you tap the cancel button twice after receiving the error.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.