Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP DeskJet 3632
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to start by saying that I am coming here to post my for help as a last resort. At my old university, I worked in the IT department and used to do troubleshooting, maintenance, etc. with the printers, computers, and other technology. I'm pretty proficient when it comes to that sort of thing.

However, my HP Deskjet 3632 that I bought less than a year ago is giving me issues. About a week ago, it took a piece of paper and the ink on the page overlapped itself when I tried making a copy. I tried readjusting the paper and doing copying again. This time, the paper got stuck and I received the appropriate paper jam error (E4).

Ever since, I have not been able to print or copy. I let it be because I was busy, etc. This morning, I am trying again. The E4 paper jam error is still there. The printer tries to print, it takes one piece of paper, but it stops when it is half way down the input tray (ie it is half the height of the rest of the untouched paper).

I have tried the following steps (except for the clean ink smears) listed on this page, which is pretty standard stuff when trying to make sure paper is not jammed. I did not find any paper jammed in any of the trays or access doors/areas. The cartridges move freely. The printer's automatic tool/system for cleaning the rollers did not help.

I manually/physically cleaned the rollers as well, which seemed to help the rollers grip the paper. Now when trying to print, the rollers grab the first piece of paper, do the same thing (take it only partway into the print), but now it also tries adding a second paper to it. 

I cannot try the "clean ink smears" or "align printheads" (which is what I wanted to do) because those need the paper to properly feed into the printer to work.

Additionally, I tried the steps on this page as well because I thought I saw an "E2" error, but only found an "E3" error online. I figured it couldn't hurt to cover all my bases.

I also found a message on this board that suggested trying to follow steps from this page, which I did. They were pretty similar to what I had already done to make sure there was nothing inside the printer.

So, what is causing this paper-feeding issue that results in the E4 paper jam error? Is there an E2 error that I can't find information for, or did I read it wrong as E3 (it only popped up once and hasn't done so since)?

Is there anything else that I can do to try to fix this, or am I out of luck and either need to send it in or get a new printer? Really bummed this has happened when I've not even had the printer for a year.

I spent an hour and a half cleaning everything/checking everything this morning, so any help is appreciated.

-Nicole

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hey @hereasnicole, Thanks for reaching out.

I appreciate you going ahead and trying all the troubleshooting required to fix this issue.

Since this issue is not fixed, I would request you to contact our Phone Support team because this seems to be a hardware issue.

Link: hp.com/contacthp

Let them know about this issue and I am sure they will do the needful.

Regards

MathewT
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. I will contact phone support and be back with what I hear in case anyone else has similar problems!

HP Recommended

Hello!  I was just wondering if you ever found out a solution.  I am having the EXACT same problems.  I have also tried everything you've listed, and still it is not feeding the paper properly.  I haven't even had this printer 6 months, and honestly haven't even used it a ton, so I know it's not normal wear and tear making the printer not work.  

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.