Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 10 (20,155 Views)

Deskjet 5550 Network Setup With Windows 7

I have a Deskjet 5550 connected to my desktop PC that runs Windows XP.  I just bought a HP Pavilion laptop (we love it) running Windows 7 Home Premium Edition.  I have always been able to connect to our 5550 using other laptops running XP.  I cannot connect to it via a network connection using Windows 7.  I was able to connect using a USB cable but we would love to be able to access it from anywhere with the new Windows 7 laptop.

I checked the website for new drivers and none were listed.  Any suggestions?  I tried going through the network printer setup and could not use the XP drivers that I downloaded from the HP website.

Thank you for any advice!!

0 Kudos
Student
Message 2 of 10 (19,760 Views)

Re: Deskjet 5550 Network Setup With Windows 7

I had the same problem with my Deskjet 5550 and a new (Asus) laptop running Windows 7. I finally got it working; here's what I did:

1. Renamed the shared printer (from "hp deskjet" to "hpdeskjet") on the desktop - just to make sure spaces weren't causing any problems.

2. On the laptop, I went through the Add a Printer wizard, but selected the local (not network) printer option.

3. When installing locally, I used \\desktopname\hpdeskjet as the location/name (where desktopname is the name of the desktop machine that the printer is connected to).

4. When it asked to select a driver, there were 3 choices, 2 from HP (ending with HPA), and 1 from Microsoft. I picked the Microsoft driver.

That worked for me - just make sure it's the default printer on the user accounts on the laptop. Good luck!

Honor Student
Message 3 of 10 (19,672 Views)

Thank you very much for the tips.  They worked.  I didn't get the choice of a Microsoft driver but one of the HP drivers worked fine. 

Have a Happy New Year!

Honor Student
Message 4 of 10 (19,079 Views)

Thanks, excellent tip.  Took me a while to figure out that the \\desktopname\hpdeskjet is the port you create.
Honor Student
Message 5 of 10 (17,544 Views)

I have exactly the same problem with my new Win7 laptop and my HP Deskjet 5550 that I want to you wireless. Please tell me what your solution was. Thanks so much.

Honor Student
Message 6 of 10 (17,542 Views)

I have exactly the same problem with my new Win7 laptop and my HP Deskjet 5550 that I want to use wireless. Please tell me what your solution was. Thanks so much.

Honor Student
Message 7 of 10 (16,994 Views)

[ Edited ]

You will need an A to B USB cable, physically connect the laptop to the printer and it will recognise the printer and install a suitable driver. Disconnect the cable and the laptop will now recognise the printer on the Wlan.

Worked for me.

It's all here http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01874725=

Honor Student
Message 8 of 10 (13,152 Views)

To embellish the good answer of using the \\computertarget\printer as the printer location, one actually has to create a new local port with that name

(right click Printer Properties)

>tab Ports

>button Add Port

>choose Local Port

>button New Port

>\\computertarget\printer

Student
Message 9 of 10 (7,370 Views)

This text is available on some sites and many people were satisfied with it. I am not. It is unworkable.. I have a Deskjet 5550 connected to a sbs 2003 server and several W7 workstations connected to it. The  way to attack this problem should be:

1. Renamed the shared printer (from "hp deskjet" to "hpdeskjet") on the desktop - just to make sure spaces weren't causing any problems.

2. On the laptop, I went through the Add a Printer wizard, but selected the local (not network) printer option.

3. Then you are asked for the port to which this printer is connected: an existing port or a new one. Most people will have to create a new port here and type  \\desktopname\hpdeskjet as the location/name (where desktopname is the name of the desktop machine that the printer is connected to). If the port already exists then selecting it will do.There is also a TCP/IP option here, but I do not know how to use that

4. Then you can select a driver.

Honor Student
Message 10 of 10 (5,998 Views)

Thank you! It worked, once I realized it was the port name where I needed to enter the UNC,  \\host\printsharename.

Since that printer was previously installed on this computer and had been moved to another one on the lan, the driver was already there. I was able to just pick it out of the list.

--

Jim

--
Jim

"Be right back!" - Godot
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation