cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Neyzenhasan
Level 1
7 2 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Deskjet 6540 printer eats envelopes

HP Recommended

Deskjet 6540 printer has been printing pages and envelopes fine until today. Now, it eats envelopes without printing addresses. No error messages. No changes to printer or system. Hardwired link to printer. No other problems with printer. Printing envelope address from MS Word.

Win XP operating system

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Dragon-Fur
Level 16
Level 16
30,225 29,938 2,723 9,953
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Things to try / consider:

• Printer rollers may be dirty.  Get and use a printer cleaning kit on the printer.  I looked at the manual for this model.  It is useless for this and there is apparently no service manual.  Nonetheless, if you have been using the printer for a length of time, it may be "gummy" and now, today, this day, it is dirty enough to cause problems.  Open up the printer as much as you can and clean it as much as you can.  Any printer cleaning kit can be used - follow the package instructions about what elements can be cleaned and what not to clean... wear gloves and don't peer at it too closely or wear eye protection (best).
  • Different envelopes?  Likely not... try tucking envelope lip inside envelope?  (May be a bad idea, I am not sure how the envelope is read; I think the "lip" portion is benign.)

Dragon-Fur

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation