Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@anetb wrote:

I bought teh ULTRA usb to parallel printer adapter but it is not compatible for Windows 8. It does work for the above printers with windows98/ME/2000/XP/Vista/7 (32 & 64 bit versions). TigerDirect sent me another cable but I keep telling them it doesn't work with Windows 8. Does anyone have any ideas? I have $100 worth of printer cartridges so am not ready to buy a new printer yet...although I may have to.

Do you have a 32 bit or 64 bit version of Windows 8? Which printer?   Currently I have had some success with the 32 bit version of Windows 8 with the Deskjet 722c.  I have not had any success yet with the 64 bit version, either with the patch or without.  The posts here have some more information on this, you can follow the progress (or lack therof) by subscribing to those threads.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

YES! It works! Thank you so much!

HP Recommended

Hi Bob,

My friend came round today and followed your instructions.My printer now works. Many thanks to you!

What threw me in the instructions as they are currently written is that I could not find any directory on my machine the name of which began with a percentage sign. The set of instructions below yours required using DOS, which is beyond my competence.

Today, my friend explained that IT techies use the percentage sign as a kind of variable. Had I realised that, I think I would have been able to do the job myself. It might be worth adding a word of explanation about the percentage sign to your instructions.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Looking for a patch for 64 bit Windows 8 so I can use my HP deskjet 722c printer....thanks.

HP Recommended

@sceptic-fritz wrote:

Hi Bob,

My friend came round today and followed your instructions.My printer now works. Many thanks to you!

What threw me in the instructions as they are currently written is that I could not find any directory on my machine the name of which began with a percentage sign. The set of instructions below yours required using DOS, which is beyond my competence.

Today, my friend explained that IT techies use the percentage sign as a kind of variable. Had I realised that, I think I would have been able to do the job myself. It might be worth adding a word of explanation about the percentage sign to your instructions.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the feedback, I will edit the instructions a bit to be more clear.

I am glad you got things working.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

@anetb wrote:

Looking for a patch for 64 bit Windows 8 so I can use my HP deskjet 722c printer....thanks.

There is currently no solution for this, information will be posted in this thread if a patch can be developed.  I am trying to escalate this issue in Microsoft and HP.  You can follow the progress in this thread and the thread here.   The posts tagged W8_DJ7xx also have a history of the progress to date.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended
For Bob Headrick.
I have gotten the info I needd from this thread. My problem is that ... at least on my browsr (Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1), which is oddly enough recognized as Safari by many web sites, does not show the ACCEPT button. Therefore I keep getting updates to the Windows 8 usb to parallel adapter working with the 720 series printers.
If you, or someone else, could direct me to a solution (preferably scotch.... lol) I would be most grateful.
HP Recommended

for sammorxman .... I'm looking for the patch so I can use the adapter for my 720 series printer with windows 8. please send me the link. thanks.

HP Recommended

@anetb wrote:

for sammorxman .... I'm looking for the patch so I can use the adapter for my 720 series printer with windows 8. please send me the link. thanks.

Sammorxman was using the solution for Windows 7. As I mentioned yesterday there is currently no solution for Windows 8.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

@sammorxman wrote:
For Bob Headrick.
I have gotten the info I needd from this thread. My problem is that ... at least on my browsr (Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1), which is oddly enough recognized as Safari by many web sites, does not show the ACCEPT button. Therefore I keep getting updates to the Windows 8 usb to parallel adapter working with the 720 series printers.
If you, or someone else, could direct me to a solution (preferably scotch.... lol) I would be most grateful.

The "Accept as Solution" button issue is only available to the person that started the thread.

What you and others who no longer need updates to this issue need to do is change your subscription to this thread.  The procedure for this is described in the thread here:  How to stop emails alerting you to forum replies. 

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.