Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Laser jet pro 200 M276nw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Last week, i started getting the Device error press OK. it seems the printer constantly is in that cleaning mode.  it will print a page, then shows the error, press ok, it will print another page, then shows the error. over and over. i have unplugged from the wall to reset. I have checked the paper size.  IS there a way to shut off that cleaning mode?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Belinda70,

Welcome to HP Support Forums. Best platform for all sorts of solutions, tips and tweaks to your questions/issues. To have the best experience on HP forum, visit our HP Forums Guide to know more. I was going through your post and would like to help you. Thank you for sharing the issue details.

I see from the post that you are getting an error message while printing on your HP printer. I'll try my best to help you with this.

Follow these steps to perform a hard reset on the printer.

1. Press the Power button to turn on the product.

2. With the product turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.

3. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

4. Wait at least 15 seconds.

5. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

6. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.

7. If the product does not turn on by itself, press the power button to turn it on.

Next thing, I would suggest is to perform a Firmware update on your printer, using this link.

You will get this type of error message as well as a cleaning cycle if you have a paper mismatch. Check and see if the paper size in your tray matches the size that is set in your printer preferences. 

Go to: Devices and Printer folder - right click on the printer - click on printer preferences - check paper sizes.

You need to make sure that the paper sizes here match what you have in the tray. Also, check the same thing in whatever application you are printing from.

For more details, click here

Here's a related post which has helped others, click here

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further assistance.

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I unplugged the printer from the wall, and also from the back of the printer.  That did not fix it, 

i also did the firmware update, completed it, rebooted, and printed again, still having the Device Error press ok message, its in that cleaning mode, is there a way to shut it off? will that prevent it?

in the printer preferences, the paper size is letter , which is what i am using.   I checked the paper tray and all the adjustments are correct like they should be.  

is there just a way to shut off that cleaning mode? i dont know what else to do, i print something, it stops after one page, goes through the cleaning cycle, then says to DEVICE ERROR PRESS OK, so I push ok, then it prints one more page, and does it over and over each page i print.  not sure what else to do,,

HP Recommended

Hi @Belinda70,

Thanks for replying. I understand you have tried the steps suggested and still having the same issue. Not to worry we'll try other steps which should help to resolve the issue.

Let's try to perform a hard reset on the printer:

* Remove all the cartridges from the printer

* With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

* Remove USB cable, if present.

* Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

* Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

* Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

If the issue persists, I would recommend you contact our HP phone support for available options. Please fill in the product details to get the tech support number.

What you can do, is use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process: 

Step 1. Open link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect 
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options" 
Step 4. Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get phone number 
Case number and phone number appear. 

Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be happy to help you with your concern.

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.