Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet Ent. MFP577z
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Hello,

What is exactly the difference between ImageREt 3600 and 1200x1200 resolutions. I was under the impression that, in simple terms, ImageREt 3600 is 600x600 dpi using variable size toner granules to emulate a higher resolution, whereas 1200x1200 dpi is the real higher resolution.

My M577z lists the following specs for resolution: 

Print Resolution: Black (best): HP ImageREt 3600, Colour (best): HP Image REt 3600

Print Technology: Laser; Print Resolution Technologies: HP Image REt 3600, Pantone Calibrated, Fine Lines: 1200x1200

When I print from my Mac computer, under Paper/Quality ->  Print Quality, I can select between ImageREt 3600 and 1200x1200. However, I printed some photographs and, even with a powerful magnifying glass, I could see no difference between the two resolutions. In fact, the actual printed resolution appeared pretty coarse, with a visible (under the magnifying glass) diagonal rater pattern.

I would appreciate if someone could please explain to me the differences between ImageREt 3600 and 1200x1200, and why I see no difference between the two printed images. 

Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Anyone, please?...

HP Recommended

Bump. Trying my luck, again...

HP Recommended

I am surprised. Doesn't anyone know the difference between the two resolutions?

HP Recommended

I noticed no difference in crispness of the text or images. On imageret 3600 lines are displayed better - the mix of red and yellow dots (which make orange line) are more spread out and the edge of line is crisp as if antialiasing was applied, while not the case when set on 1200x1200 dpi where you can acutally see gaps between red dots. also the colored text is much better with imageret3600. But there is no noticable difference on pictures, even when examing them with magnifying glass... there is noticable difference from 600x600 dpi printer though, much better when printed on 1200x1200 dpi printer with imageret3600 or without it.

my printer is M552.

HP Recommended

I have to concur with this analysis.  I'm using a new M570 and trying to decide if the newer 681 would be a better printer - only difference is the 681 has "ProRes 1200" and the M570 has just imageret 3600.

Has ANYONE ever output a file in 1200x1200 where there was any benefit to this, say even in pure black & pure white fine lines where (under a magnifier) the 1200dpi had any advantage?

Has anyone made any test pattern bitmaps that show this effect?

My (not firm yet) opinion is the 1200 is an older standard that was obsoleted by the imageret 3600 enhancements, which use roughly 25% of the data to form an image of comparable quality.

HP Recommended

I experienced considerable quality differences between those modes on a LaserJet 500. In the image shown below those lines are approximately 2px wide and scaled to an effective resolution around 1000dpi within a pdf-file. Generally, thin lines (1-3px) of pixel graphics tend to get "swallowed" by REt 3600 more heavily than in 1200². This is even true for straight black on white lines. Also, curved lines look a little better and there is generally a slight difference in areas of low contrast (like below, but also also with light colors on white background).

Hence, I would consider 1200² all but obsolete and advocate always using this mode.

PS: Just if any simulation expert reads this: I am well aware that the shown mesh less than optimal...

86719A41-F638-4BD5-9D96-EC86D03FE52A.jpeg

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.