cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Roger2499 Tutor
Tutor
9 8 1 2
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Double sided printing with 6700 e

Hi

I'm using MS office on a Mac 10.8.4

I ahve searched simialr posts, but advice given conflicts. Some say this printer will not do duplex printing. I haven't the time to do the manual odd/even pages workaround, I print docs with many pages, it's too much of an inconvenience.

This printer WILL print double sided, but the option to do so only comes up when printing pdf files. Opening Word files up in pdf preview will print double sided, but the back pages are upside down. Pdfs don't do this, they duplex properly. Trying to print Word files won't even show the two sided option.

I can't find the  printer properties box to investigate, and when opening the printer device, it doesn't have a driver tab, which was one fix another post suggested.

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Provost Provost
Provost
25,249 24,874 4,479 9,616
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi,
Please follow the steps below in order to automatically print two-sided print jobs:

From MS Office, click the File menu and select Print. The Print window appears.
NOTE: The Print window might be minimized. Click the Show Details button to see all available settings.

Click the Copies & Pages drop down menu within Microsoft Office applications.

Select Layout from the drop-down menu.

Set the Two-Sided option as Long-Edge binding (Portrait), or Long-Edge binding (landscape).

You may save the settings for future use by clicking Presets > Save Current Settings as Preset... Any used preset will remain default till another preset will be used.

Regards,
Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos thumb up in the post.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
0 Kudos
Roger2499 Tutor
Tutor
9 8 1 2
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Yes, I've seen this reply many times on numeroues thread. It doesn't work.

I still get upside down printing on the side that is supposed to be doubled.

I had this issue with my last printer too - a 7580, and had to work around it by opening the file in PDF preview, as the Word long or short bind option would simply not work. But this time, the PDF workaround won't work either.

I have spoken to HP support who confirmed I do have a printer capable of auto duplex priting, but they have no idea why it will not work. THe only solution they offered was the same as yours.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi,

From the Layout drop-down, try changing the Two-Sided option to the other value.

e.g. If it comes upside down while being set as Long-Edge, change it to Short-Edge.. or the oposite.

Changing this value should cause it to print correctly as it depands on your document's design and orientation.

May this help?

0 Kudos
Roger2499 Tutor
Tutor
9 8 1 2
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

No, unfortunately, already tried that too. Still upside down on the back page. If it did work, I could make this a preset print option in the Word print preview, and the issue would be solved.

THe only time a correct double side is printed is in landscape mode, but the majority of my documents are portrait. They are  often large mutiple pages, so the option of printing odd/even and re-feeding is a huge inconvience. THat's why I buy duplex printers.

0 Kudos
Roger2499 Tutor
Tutor
9 8 1 2
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I should add, whever I get a print menu option to do double sided, such as printing a web page, a pdf or anthing that isn't in Word, I also get upside down prints on the back page.

The duplexer is working in the respect it will print on the back page, but I can't get it the right way round.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

And do you see it currently configured as Long-Edge or Long-Edge within the Layout menu?

0 Kudos
Roger2499 Tutor
Tutor
9 8 1 2
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Yes, I can find the layout option in Word for long or short binding of double sided. The back page still prints up side down.

I have made a support call to HP. They remote logged into my PC and  can't fix it.

They now blame Microsoft. I fail to see why, when the printer prints double side, albeit upside down on the back page. It also does so with pdfs, which are not Microsoft software. My HP7580 worked with the same software, so why not this one?

THe printer seems to be the problem, and  because HP support don't know why, find it easier to blame others.

0 Kudos
Roger2499 Tutor
Tutor
9 8 1 2
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Ok - for the benefit of others, and I've seen a swag of posts about this very issue with Macs, I found a solution. It is a driver issue, HP sould be aware of this, and not fob people off about it being a Word-related software issue

(I had previously already downloaded latest drivers from HP, that never worked, only the 1.0 driver installed each time.)

First, I updated my Mac OSX software (may not be neccessary).

Then I added the printer again with HP Setup.

When it asks for how to install device - with Airprint or 6700, I selected 6700. I believe this installs with different drivers.

Now when I open my printer queue, instead of the driver version showing as 1.0, as per other reinstall attempts, driver are now  4.1.2

Now to print in Word, go to the layout submenu in print preview, and select long side binding

Prints on both sides with correct operintation.

jeroenspeak Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I know this question has been anwered but wanted to add that there are a lot of people with the specific problem of not being able to print properly using double-sided printing, where one page prints upside down in landscape mode. The solution for me was simply about knowing how to change the binding options in the print menu dialogue, mavericks hides a lot of things to be tidy, but this can hide really important stuff. Heres how to find the binding options:

-click on PRINT, and about half way down the page youll see a box with the name of the program you are using (eg. Safari or Word etc.) click on this box, then you will see a dropdown, select LAYOUT, then next to' two-sided' select short-edge binding, hey presto ! 

hope that helps other with this problem

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation