cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
GeorgeParis
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Driver for HP Photosmart C4780 for OS X Mavericks

Hello,

I hope someone can help me with my problem. I have a HP Photosmart C4780 printer and just before I upgraded to OS X Mavericks I uninstaled the driver for some reason. Now after I'm with Mavericks I find it impossible to find an installation  driver that works with it. Can anyone tell me where on the internet I can find a installation driver for this printer that works for Mavericks please?

Cheers,

George

0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
Retired
Retired
2,122 2,806 126 324
Message 2 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi George,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

For your printer, and the version of Mac that you are running, there is no installation drivers available from HP. Please follow through the steps in the document 'OS X v10.9 Mavericks: Installing and Using the Printer on a Mac', to make sure that you have all the latest updates from Apple.

Also included in the document is an option for 'How do I scan with the driver from Apple Software Update?'. This will show you how to use the built in drivers for scanning with the Mac.

Regards. Smiley Happy

I worked on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Tags (1)
gatorphan
Level 1
10 8 0 0
Message 3 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Incorrect - I was just told there is not only no driver for the C4780, but it is IMPOSSIBLE to use it wirelessly with MAC OS X Mavericks.  I would like an HP Expert to tell me if this is 100% true before I go buy a new printer.  I contacted HP over the phone and told me this information.  Kind of not cool that as soon as I updated my software to OS X Mavericks, my HP printer is now almost useless.  The only way I can print now is with USB connected.  I cannot scan at all.

Advice from anyone is very much appreciated - Thanks!

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
2,122 2,806 126 324
Message 4 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello gatorphan,

Yes it is true that there is no full featured software available for your printer, and Maverick 10.9.

There is a small chance that you can still get your printer to connect wireless to your Mac, but you would be using the basic print, and scan drivers. These would be the same drivers that you are using when connected with a USB cord. :Wink:

If you want to attempt the steps to connect your printer wireless again, please follow the steps listed below. (Please make sure you disconnected the USB cord before starting the process)

1. Press the button beside Scan

2. Press the button beside Wireless Menu

3. Press the button beside Restore Network Defaults, and then press the button beside Yes, or OK

4. Once the wireless defaults have been restored, on your Mac, please click on the AirPort Icon (Wireless Icon top right) 5. Click on the HP Setup network, and connect to it

6. On the printer you will need to print a Wireless Network Test report

7. Press the button beside Scan

8. Press the button beside Wireless Menu

9. Press the button beside Wireless Settings

10. Press the button beside Run Wireless Network Test

11. From the Wireless Network Test, you will need the IP address

12. You will now need to open up Safari (it will say that you are not connected to the Internet, but this is normal, and what it is supposed to say)

13. In the address bar of Safari (not the search bar) type in the printers IP address from the Wireless Network Test report. This should pull up the Embedded Web Server (EWS) of the printer.

14. Click on the Network tab at the top of the page

15. Click on Wireless Setup Wizard on the left side of the page

16. Fill in the information for your wireless network, and click Apply

17.  Once everything is done, you will need to connect your Mac back to your wireless network by clicking on the AirPort Icon, and then connecting to your network

18. Now you will need to add your wireless printer into the print queue, click on the Apple Icon

19. Click on System Preferences

20. Click on Printers and Scanners

21. Click on your printers name, and click on the minus (-) sign in the bottom left corner. This will remove the old connection for the printer. Please do this for all the C4780's that are listed.

22. Click on the plus (+) sign in the bottom left corner

23. Click on Add other printer or scanner

24. Click on your printers name

25. Click Add

26. Close down all the Windows, and try to print

Are you able to successfully print wireless?

Good Luck! 🙂

I worked on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
gatorphan
Level 1
10 8 0 0
Message 5 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Lisa, I restored the network defaults, but there is no "HP Setup" network displayed on my Airport Icon (wi-fi list).  

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
2,122 2,806 126 324
Message 6 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi gatorphan,

The only thing that I can suggest is to keep trying the above steps, as sometimes the printer can be a little picky. :TongueOut: Another option would be to use another computer (borrow a friend, or family members) that has software available, and set the print up wireless that you.

Hope you can get the printer connected wireless! 🙂

I worked on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
gatorphan
Level 1
10 8 0 0
Message 7 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm not sure I understand your response.  How can I follow your suggested steps, if I don't see "HP Setup" in my airport wireless networks?  

Also, how can I use another computer to setup wireless printing so that my Mac will be enabled?

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
2,122 2,806 126 324
Message 8 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi gatorphan,

Sorry my last post was not that clear. Sometime the printer can be a little tricky with setting it up wireless with the above steps that I have included. There have been many times when I have had to do all those steps 2 or 3 times before it would show the HP Setup network in the AirPort icon list.

It is possible to use another computer (even Windows) to set the printer up wireless, and then be able to see the printer wireless on your Mac. If you have a Windows computer, or Mac 10.7 and older, you can download the software from the HP Photosmart C4780 All-in-One Printer Drivers page, and run through the installation, including the steps for setting the printer up wireless using the software. Once you do have the printer setup wireless this way, all you would need to do is add the wireless printer into the Printer and Scanner window on your Mac.

Hope that this clears it up. 🙂

I worked on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
gatorphan
Level 1
10 8 0 0
Message 9 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can you please explain how my Mac would even be able to discover the "HP Setup" network?  Especially, after disabling the wireless settings from the printer.  That doesn't make sense to me.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
2,122 2,806 126 324
Message 10 of 17
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey gatorphan,

Connecting your Mac to the HP Setup network, is called an ad hoc connection. This is where one device (you Mac) communicates with another device (your printer) without using your router. I have included the link What is Ad-Hoc Mode in Wireless Networking?, which does go into further detail of what an Ad-Hoc connection is.

Now when you are rest the Network Defaults on your printer, is the wireless light a steady blue, flashing, or not on?

Hope this helps! 🙂

I worked on behalf of HP
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation