Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 842C
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Until today, I was effectively using my 842Con my laptop with Windows 10. Then I get a message that says there is no driver. How do I get one?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello, @TheBladeBaku - Hope you are well 🙂

Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums! I'd be glad to be of your assistance!

I understand that you are unable to get the Windows 10 drivers for Deskjet 842c printer. I am afraid that your printer is an older model and hence Windows 10 drivers are not available for this model.

I would recommend you use the Windows built-in drivers to tackle this issue. Windows 10 OS comes with the built-in printer drivers. Simply turn on the printer and connect the USB cable from the printer to the PC. The drivers will be installed in 2-3 minutes. Go to Control panel - Devices and printers to check the printer entry and make it as default printer if needed.

Check http://hp.care/2nxKJv8 for additional instructions.

Those steps should do the trick, let me know the outcome!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!​​​​​

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

I tried the built-in approach and still get message that driver is unavailable, The irony is that it still works on other laptops with Windows 10, so far.

I found the original software CD disc and hope that it can be applied in this case but feel that as a extremely long time and loyal customer of HP, they would directly provide the driver that works with Windows 10

HP Recommended

Hello, @terencecsmith

I am afraid we do not have the direct driver for your printer.

I would suggest you to use the alternate drivers as suggested here to get your printer working: http://hp.care/2ocFbop

Perform a windows update and select Deskjet 990c from the list and follow steps 1 – 2 to get the printer installed.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

I used your suggestion and got the 550C to install, but when I went to Step 2 and reconfigured connection to USB, and then print, nothing happened. I have two 842C printers and tried both with no luck, yet they both work on other laptop/desktop with W10?. 

When I had list of printers, I saw one listed for 842C.....would this work? or do you have another suggestion

HP Recommended

Hello, @terencecsmith

Yes, select the 842c from the list and check. 

If the issue persists, perform a Windows update and then try to add the printer again.

Let me know how that goes!

Have a great day!

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.