cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
n781lc
Level 2
18 14 0 1
Message 101 of 125
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Drivers for Mac OS 10.6

fastdriver ...  forgive me for launching a preachy bit, but .... Look, there is every reason to agree with your position if we lived in the perfect world; but, as an honor student you surely realize that "ain't the case."  The industrialized age brought a series of events, each feeding on the past, ever increasing production in ever increasing volume.  The digital revolution is a classic example and the printer is both a beneficial result and a victim.  In spite of what we would like, the fact is that support of a major manufacturer line of products beyond the ordinary (statistically determined) useful life is simply not practicable.

Your supposition is corporate greed which seemingly indicates some big heavy watch chain fellow laughing in our face.  Actually, it is people like me, my family and friends who have participated in the American way and own stock in these companies who push them to make a profit to share with us..  They can either do that or their stock becomes worthless and they and their employees are no longer a problem.  Surely, you intend to participate in this great system, adding your knowledge and skills to benefit you and your loved ones.

I'm not trying to agitate and I do apologize; but, it seems so wasteful for young people to become so disenchanted for the wrong reason.  All products have a useful life ... all ...  and only special situations warrant the continued service, supply or maintenance.   If there is a need, smaller enterprise usually recognizes provides the custom  service.   Unfortunately, most personal printers have become like my Timex watch - expendable. 

There are a number of other fine companies but over the last 20 years of using many hP products I would still consider them very favorably in any future purchase.. 

Best of good wishes ...

Ed 

Toutizes
6 6 0 0
Message 102 of 125
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Drivers for Mac OS 10.6

It's a bit OT but you offer a charming socially responsible view of capitalism :generic:

I need to do my part (consume) to keep capitalism working (stock market).

0 Kudos
jbj
5 5 0 0
Message 103 of 125
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Drivers for Mac OS 10.6

So tossing my (working) printer on the garbage heap is good for your family and the great American way? Come on. OTT is right.

How about this: Tell me what it would cost to develop this driver for 10.6. I'd like to know how it would affect HP's business so much that you might lose your job and your shares might lose their value.

Tell me again why it's better for America if I bury my printer in the local dump instead of continuing to use it as long as it holds out.

By the way, should I trash my fridge too? It's getting on a bit. The parts are still available though, unlike the important part (driver) for my printer. 

0 Kudos
n781lc
Level 2
18 14 0 1
Message 104 of 125
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Drivers for Mac OS 10.6

Sorry to have entered this discussion with you.   Your attitude is such that it is obvious we are on different pages of education, experience and respect for our country and others.

Good luck and I'm out

ed 

0 Kudos
Toutizes
6 6 0 0
Message 105 of 125
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Drivers for Mac OS 10.6

Hey n781lc, 

- Suppose it was your TV: Suddenly you can't use it because they don't broadcast compatible programs (Oh, that happened and everyone got free adapters in June!)

- Suppose it was you Computer display: Suddenly you can't use it because your new computer only has DVI (Oh, happened and you can get a DVI adpater for your display!)

Wouldn't everyone have screamed murder if the 2 cases above had required you to contribute to the goodness of capitalism by buying replacements?? 

Here, we're not even talking about a hardware fix.  Hp only has to rebuild the drivers and put them on the web.  Or open source them.

Please 

0 Kudos
n781lc
Level 2
18 14 0 1
Message 106 of 125
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Drivers for Mac OS 10.6

If MY TV was such that it wouldn't receive digital I would see if I couldn't find a better job so I could afford something better ... it's the way I was raised.  I gather that differs from your own "youth."  

No manufactured product lasts as long as some careful folks would like, but ALL are expendable, whether domestic or foreign.  Digital products have the worst record because of the rapid improvements sought by the vast majority.  Once again, it's the way it IS ..  

Good luck to you guys ... it's going to be along hard row, it looks like.

Ed 

0 Kudos
jbj
5 5 0 0
Message 107 of 125
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Drivers for Mac OS 10.6

My point is this: It is not "the way it is," because that implies inevitability. I believe we all should take responsibility for our actions. Companies too. And in this case, it is a decision on HP's part not to issue updated drivers. Nothing inevitable about it at all. The responsibility is clear. Nothing to do with your or my education, age, wealth or political leaning.

Again, I challenge someone from HP to state what it would cost to update these drivers. 

0 Kudos
fastdriver
Level 2
29 26 0 4
Message 108 of 125
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Drivers for Mac OS 10.6

jbl-

Save your breath and your typing fingers. For all you know the "toss and buy new" guy- that's the American way- could be the CEO of HP! He's so ridiculous. We're talking about a PRINTER- inkjet- nothing complicated. NO REASON whatsoever why we should throw them out when there is NOTHING wrong with them that HP can't fix easily.

I hope more people get pissed off at HP and their stock does go down! 

0 Kudos
Taph2o
6 6 0 0
Message 109 of 125
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Drivers for Mac OS 10.6

Add to this all of the ScanJet scanner that are now on the electronic waste heap

My HP Scanjet 5370c i have been told is now a brick

For those with more tech knowhow the me try SANE or VueScan

0 Kudos
fastdriver
Level 2
29 26 0 4
Message 110 of 125
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Drivers for Mac OS 10.6

Not much more I can say without HP DELETING my message like they did the last time because I was not kind to the almighty HP. Buy some other brand!

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation