Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Laser Jet Pro MFP M281fdw
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

When I try to print double sided from Word or a PFD file it prints correctly for the first page, but the second page, it will print the words at the bottom of the page instead of realigning to the top of the back of the page. I have tried uninstalling and reisntalling the printer drivers. Brand new printer, first time using it. I have turned duplex printing on in the utilities.  When I select short side binding, that prints correctly, but the long side binding does not. Please help!

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi,
When printing a portrait document set the Two-Sided option as Long-Edge binding, for a landscape document select Short-Edge binding

The duplex prints upside down when selecting a wrong orientation for your document, that is expected..

Are you odcument set as portait or landscape orientation?

Regards,
Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

When I print in portrait mode it prints incorrectly. It will print it right on the first page, but on the back side, it will print it at the bottom of the page. Not upside down, just at the bottom of the page instead of the top of the back side. 

HP Recommended

I have this exact same issue on my M281fdw... I'm running High Sierra on my iMac.  When I print duplex using short-edge binding, the document prints as expected.  When I use long-edge binding, however, page 1 is correct, but on page 2, the text that should be at the top of the page is printed at the bottom of the page instead.  It is oriented correctly, just printed at the bottom of the page.  I can't find any way to fix this.

HP Recommended
I have the same equipment. I unplugged printer and plugged back in and the problem disappeared.
HP Recommended

Thanks for posting this.   My MFP M281fdw was doing the exact same thing.   I followed your lead and just unplugged the printer and let it set a couple of minutes.   When I turned it back on the problem was gone.  

HP Recommended

Same here, but no luck with the off-on routine

Same regardless of device, Mac or iPad

Same regardless of file; tried Pages & .PDF.

Looks fine in the preview window and works in one sided mode, but no hint of what’s causing the problem in two sided mode.

Latest driver installed & printer is brand new. This has to be software, iether the driver or printer firmware.

Please  help HP,  this is ruining an otherwise excellent printer.

HP Recommended
The “on/off” seemed to work but is not a solution. I did a “reset” on the printer and that’s worked so far. Will post later about whether this is a solution.
HP Recommended
  1. Have just tried Restore Defaults again out of frustration and this time seems to have worked.

Maybe sequence was different, i.e. did the off-on routine followed by restore defaults. Here’s hoping it lasts.

HP Recommended

I don't use duplex printing very often but the "reset printer" seems to work for now.  If it doesn't or I learn something else about this, I will post here.  Good luck!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.