cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 2
18 13 2 1
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Solved!

Error:0x887df78e on my Officejet 7310

HP Recommended

I have an Officejet 7310 networked through my wireless router for both my HP desktop and HP laptop with Windows 7 (64) .  About a week ago I was trying to sort out several of the same printers and get it down to just one.  I uninstalled this and that and got new drivers, etc.  Everything works fine until out of the blue I get a message on the printer screen.  It looks a lot like the BSOD with the following:

Error:0x887df78e

1:??

I can usually get it reset by unplugging and plugging in again.  Please help sort this out.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 9
5,287 5,278 183 604
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This article should help resolve the error you are getting:
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03081973

Give the steps a try and let us know if it helps.

Best of Luck!

You can say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in my post. If my post resolves your problem, please mark it as Accepted Solution so others can benefit too.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
18 13 2 1
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the article.  It basically tells me to reboot the printer.  That solves the problem until it happens again and I have done it many times.  Do you have any idea why the error happens and how to keep it from happening again?  It would seem that if there is a number associated with an error that the engineers would know why it happened and have a solution.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7
821 820 33 165
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try cleaning the cartridge contacts. The cartridges might be having difficulty communicating with the printer firmware. The steps below shows how to go through this.

Clean the cartridge face and electrical contacts at the back of the print carriage.

1. Open the front of the unit to access the ink cartridges.
  2. After the ink cartridges are at the center, unplug the power cord from the back of the unit, unplug the power cord from the power outlet, and remove the ink cartridges. The power cord must be unplugged to ensure that the unit is not damaged during the cleaning process.
  3. Clean the area of the ink cartridge marked as number 2 in the image below with a soft clean cloth that is slightly dampened with clean water to remove any build up. Avoid cleaning the ink cartridge nozzle plate as indicated by the number 1 in the image below. Cleaning this area can force foreign matter into the ink nozzles and plug them.
  4. With a soft cloth slightly dampened with clean water, clean the contacts on the back of the ink cartridges. These are labeled with number 3 in the image below.
    Figure 2: Cleaning the ink cartridges
    Cleaning the ink cartridges
    1 - The nozzle plate that is not cleaned
    2 - The ink cartridge face
    3 - The electrical contacts
  5. Allow the cartridges to dry for five minutes before reinserting them.
  6. Close the unit, and plug the power cord back into the wall outlet and plug the power cord into the back of the unit.
  7. Print a self-test page to check the results. To print a self-test page, press the Setup or Menubutton until Print Report appears in the display then press Enter . Press the Setup or Menu button until Self-Test appears in the display, and then press Enter .
Binary_Zen (worked at HP )

Click the white Kudos star to say thanks
Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
18 13 2 1
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I cleaned the contacts and reinstalled and so far so good.  But that doesn't mean much.  The printer can go for days with no problems.  Then when I need to print, it's blinking.  No apparent reason.  I keep the printer covered with an old pillowcase for dust and don't have the front visible so I can't see exactly when the problem occurs.  Will follow up if it starts up again.  There is another post associating this error to iTunes.  Don't use that much so I can't say yes or know.  I'll wait and see if it happens again and we'll know it's not the contacts.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
18 13 2 1
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well, the fix worked for a while but happened again when I was using Quickbooks.  Got it working again with the unplug, wait, plug back in but the problem is not solved yet.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 2
18 13 2 1
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I figured out what the problem was. I had an ethernet cable plugged in from the router. I unplugged it a while to get an old computer going again and the printer worked fine. The problem started again when I plugged it in again. As long as I choose the printer assigned to the main computer on the network, I can print fine wirelessly from my laptop. I'm calling this one resolved. I hope others can learn from this. Don't know why it works, it just does and I'm happy. I couldn't find a new printer as good as this one.
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation