Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am trying to install a new HP Officejet 8600.  I can't get it to connect to my computer.  The printer screen itself says it is connected to my home network.  But, it doesn't want to connect to the computer, either wirelessly or with the ethernet. I get a message that a driver is needed.  I've tried several times to download and install one, but I get an installation failed message.  Troubleshooting suggested I uninstall the printer.  Unfotunately, I get a message that I failed to uninstall device with serial number.....  What can I do to get this off and try again to get my computer to link to it?   

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hello neceibez,

Thank you for posting on the HP Forums!

I understand the computer is displaying an error indicating the printer cannot be uninstalled. First, it would be good to know the Windows operating system of the computer.

However, this error may have a simple fix to it. The error should provide three options: Retry, Cancel and Ignore. If you select Ignore, the software may complete the uninstall process. Then, restart the computer and it should be completely gone.

If that doesn't do the trick, you can try using Microsoft Fix it to uninstall the printer. All you have to do is download and run it, then follow the wizard to uninstall the printer software.

*Please note. If you are using Windows 8, Microsoft Fix it might not work. If you have Windows 8, download it and save it the desktop. Once it is downloaded and saved, right-click on it and select "Run as Administrator". This may launch the program even though it is technically not compatible with Windows 8.

Please let me know how troubleshooting goes. Thanks!

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Hello neceibez,

I have sent you a Personnel Message with some solutions that I have found during my Testing to find out what your problem is.

JonW

JonW

I work for HP
HP Recommended

Hi, 

can you tell me how you fixed this error

HP Recommended

@MRNoClue wrote:

Hi, 

can you tell me how you fixed this error

PM sent

JonW

I work for HP
HP Recommended

I'm having this same issue trying to install an HP Envy 4500 on windows 7 32 bit.  I've tried everything.  Please tell me how this was fixed.  

HP Recommended

Could you please send me the steps as well? Thanks.

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

The scanner on my HP Deskjet 2050 All-In-One J510 Series seemed to disappear even though the printer still worked.  After many efforts to regain it, I decided to uninstall and reinstall the program.  These actions gave the error 2081883398.  I'm using Window 7 Home.

HP Recommended

Hi there,

I would first recommnd that if you get this error during uninstall and reinstall that you.

1. Check that your virus checker is up to date and then run a complete virus scan.
  2. If you do not have a Maklware scanner such as Malwarebytes (www.malwarebytes.org) I would install one amd run a complete scan and remove any malware that is found.

After these two steps reboot and then try a fresh unstall and reinstall.

Good luck

JonW

I work for HP
HP Recommended

I have this same issue. 

The HP software worked okay for 2 years, but recently it would no longer scan. 

So I uninstalled it and reinstalled it as the HP Print and Scan Doctor Tool recommended...  Didn't work (wouldn't connect wirelessly or by USB), so I tried uninstalling and reinstalling again.  First time was website program, 2nd time I was going to install from my original disc.

Well, on the 2nd install, I received the same error as everyone else here.  And what seems to happened is that the registry values got removed (no longer in the program list) but most if not all of the system files remained. 

I tried manually deleting the system files and reinstalling, but for whatever reason it thinks that the HP8600 software is fully installed and skips that step.  Despite the fact that the program isn't in the program manager or in the Windows FixIt program list...

So now I can't install, and I can't uninstall. 

Tried installing the basic package too...  I haven't changed anything in the way of settings, new programs, etc.  So not sure why the problem exists.  I have an XP machine that has very similar settings and programs but still works by USB, so not sure why this one stopped work wirelessly...

Any ideas tech support team?

Thank you.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.