Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
8xInfinity Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Error 3: Failed to Copy Port Monitor Files (Deskjet 3050 J610)

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, fully updated with no viruses or other issues.

I do not have the install disc, so I have been using the correct downloaded software directly from HP.

So, to start with I did mess up- I don't think I uninstalled all my HP software properly and when I later needed to reinstall the drivers to a All-In-One 3050 J10 (Wireless Printer) the install always fails. The error is too generic and there is no info for how to fix it. I select the companants I want to install (it does get me that far) and I always select all options except for the Bing Bar (seriously, I don't know when companies will accept that no competant computer user will ever knowingly or happily install these useless toobars, but I digress). The software tries to install the basic drivers first, but quickly stops and says "Install failed" and when I click "Details" it says "Error 3: Failed to Copy Port Monitor Files".

When I go into Control Panel > Programs and Features I can see the previous installation of the Basice Device Software, but the software actually isn't found anywhere on the computer. When I attempt to uninstall, it always fails to do so. The files it thinks are on the machine just do not exist (leading me to the conclusion that something went wrong during a prior uninstall or deletion). When I attempt "repair" instead of "ininstall", it asks me to insert a disc that I do not have.

I cannot find any solid advice online (and in fact, a Google search for "Failed to copy port monitor files" comes up with only two results, neither of which has been helpful). I have manually gone through my entire computer and gotten rid of ANYTHING from HP and have manually gone through the registry for hours to get rid of anything and everything from HP. My computer seems like it is wiped of HP products, but the software still will not install, the Programs and Features still think it's there somewhere, and I'm at the end of my rope.

I can't even use my printer with the USB cable or anything. It's just a useless plastic brick, which is obnoxious since it's only a few months old.

Anyone have a solution for this error?

2 REPLIES
Rob299 Honor Student
Honor Student
1 0 1
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had the same problem with an officejet 7500a.  I searched and found out about this tool:

msicuu2.exe at http://fileanswer.com/ 

I ran it and deleted the HP driver install and the HP help install even though they did not show up under programs in the control panel.  My printer then re-installed fine.

pageplusdeals Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for supplying the link to remove all the installations. it worked like a charm and saved me many more hours of searching for a fix. thanks again

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation