Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
gooball13 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Error 388 when trying to fax with HP Officejet 6700

when trying to fax with HP Officejet 6700, I get an Error 388 message - what does this mean?

Some background info: I'm trying to use a MagicJack Plus on a Powerspec PC with Windows 7 Professional - does the fax work with VoIP devices such as MagicJack?  I have dial tone & I've set the fax speed to slow

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
3962 3877 591 651
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Error 388 when trying to fax with HP Officejet 6700

There is a document that explains the different fax error codes.  The document can be found here.

Error 388 - 

Definition

There is too much noise on the line for a valid connection between two fax machines to complete. The noise problem might go away over time. 

Solution

Retry the fax reception at a different time when telephone line conditions have improved. Call the telephone provider if line conditions fail to improve.

This is a common error when attempting to fax over VoIP, such as MagicJack.  Most likely this is not going to work based on the error you are receiving.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation