Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp officejet pro 6978
Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

I just replaced my cartridges mailed to me and printer is saying they are in the wrong slot and they are in the right slot as labeled. I have taken them out and reinstalled. Message continues. I am almost ready to return this printer as I continue to have problems I need to call about. Please help!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

UPDATE ON POST: It was the yellow cartridge only. I replaced it with the old one. Printer gave me a message that it didn't appear to be an HP cartridge, (it was the first one sold with the printer with no "HP" on it), I hit ok and it is working with the old yellow cartridge. But this didn't fix the problem. Only temporarily.

HP Recommended

Greetings @Lisa1231960,

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are facing an issue with your printer where the printer is not accepting the installed cartridge. 

Not to worry, I will be glad to help. 

Kudos to you for trying to troubleshoot the issue on your own. 

Have you subscribed for instant ink?

The new cartridge that you purchased, is it a genuine HP ink?

Recommend you try the suggested steps in this HP Article

If the issue persists, please contact our phone support for service options available for the cartridge or the printer. 

Keep me posted.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I do have InstantInk and it is an HP cartridge. I put the new one in while printer was on. Got error message. Unplugged printer. Unplugged from socket. After 60 seconds, Plugged back into printer. Plugged back in socket. Waited. Error message ...All colors were in wrong slot. put all back in . Got error message Yellow is in wrong slot. Got that Yellow is in wrong slot.

Everything IS in the correct place and installed correctly.  

HP Recommended

Hello, @Lisa1231960

I see that you were interacting with @Chimney_83. I'd like to jump in with a suggestion 🙂

I found a wonderful document which will help you try and fix this issue. Try the steps listed here: http://hp.care/2shKLFm 

Perform the steps mentioned in Steps 2 - Steps 5.

If the issue persists, then I'd suggest you contact the HP phone support to get the cartridge replaced.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

I've tried everything and it's not working. For the time being, even though my printer is saying that my first yellow cartridge that came with the printer (and IS an HP cartridge) isn't an HP cartridge, I just cancel out that message and it prints for now. I'll return the new yellow cartridge that must be the culprit. 

Thanks.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.