cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
4 3 1 1
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Solved!

Error code 4, [(3,14,0)]

HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My scanner has stopped working.  I keep getting the following error code:  4, [(3,14,0)]

It tells me to reboot and if that doesn't work to reinstall the driver.  I have done both to no avail.

The machine actually scans but then when the document should appear on the preview the error code pops up.  It has worked for years previously.  There are two things I can think of that may be different.  Newly installed antivirus software but that was disabled and the error code still appeared. Another option is recently installed dropbox but that was uninstalled and I'm still getting the error code.

I have another wireless printer/scanner which is doing the same thing.  The printers work fine but error codes appear when the scanner tries to communicate with the computer.  Interestingly, the scanners both work with paint but not the scanning program that came with the device.

I don't like using paint and would like the scanners to work properly again.

Any suggestions?  Please help!

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
4,555 4,127 319 695
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @drbarbiedpm,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I understand that you're getting an error code when scanning from your HP Officejet 8500 series printer to your Windows 7 computer. I would like to assist you today with resolving this scan issue. Because you are able to scan through Paint we know that your printers hardware is functioning and so is the WIA Scan service required for scanning on your computer. This leaves a potential HP Scan Twain corruption or a background program on your computer that may be blocking the scan process from occuring. Can I please have you follow the steps below to resolve this issue.

Step 1: Run the HP Print and Scan Doctor Tool:

To start troubleshooting can I please have you click here to download and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor Tool. This Tool will run on your computer and 'fix scanning' issues for you. Should any driver, software, or connection conflicts be found the HP Print and Scan Doctor Tool will attempt to resolve those conflicts for you. Once the Tool has completed please test scanning again. Should the Scan issue persists please proceed to the next step.

Step 2: Run MSCONFIG (Disable):

A background programming running on your computer may be causing interference when trying to scan to your printer. To ensure that no programs blocking the two-way communication needed for scanning, I'm going to have you temporarily disable the background programs on your computer.

1. Click on your Start menu
  2. In the 'search programs and files' box right above Start, type msconfig and hit enter on your keyboard
  3. When the System Configuration Window opens select 'Selective Startup' and uncheck Load Startup Items
  4. Click the Services tab. Check the box at the bottom for Hide All Microsoft Services
  5. Select Disable All
  6. Select Apply and OK
  7. Restart your computer when prompted

Once your computer comes back on please try to scan with the HP Scan software again. If the issue is now resolved, there is a program running on your computer that is creating this conflict.

In order for me to provide you with any additional accurate support I do need to verify which HP Officejet 8500 series printer you have. HP manufactures an HP Officejet Pro 8500 All-in-One Printer A909 series and an HP Officejet Pro 8500A e-All-in-One Printer A910 series.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
4 3 1 1
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your help.  Unfortunately none of your suggestions worked.  😞 I had actually run the HP doctor previously to no avail.  I did try it again and also Disable the system configuration as instructed.  That didn't work either.

Actually, the error message came up quicker when it was disabled.  Same error message.

I noticed that not all of the applications were disabled when I said disable all. It warned that not all of the Microsoft programs would be disabled.  Whenever I Checked the box to hide all Microsoft services and disabled all it would uncheck all Boxes but when I hit apply some of the boxes would recheck themselves.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
4,555 4,127 319 695
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @drbarbiedpm

Thanks for getting back to me regarding this issue.

Because the HP Print and Scan Doctor Tool and the MSCONFIG failed to resolve this scan error, we're looking at getting into software troubleshooting.

Before we begin troubleshooting the software I will need you to Enable the background programs on your computer.

How to Enable MSCONFIG:

2. In the 'search programs and files' box right above Start, type msconfig and hit enter on your keyboard
  3. When the System Configuration Window opens select 'Normal Startup'
  4. Select Apply and OK
  5. Restart your computer when prompted

When your computer comes back on all programs will be set to their normal startup again.

Now, before I am able to guide you through the accurate software troubleshooting steps I do need to know exactly which HP Officejet 8500 series printer you have?

Once I know exactly which Officejet 8500 series printer you have I will be more than happy to guide you to a solution. I look forward to hearing from you! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
4 3 1 1
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My model number is HP office jet pro 8500 A 909g

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
4,555 4,127 319 695
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @drbarbiedpm,

Thanks for getting back to me with your model number information. Now that I know that you have an HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless All-in-One Printer I will guide you through some software and driver troubleshooting to resolve this scan error. Please follow the steps below.

Step 1: Uninstall Drivers:

It is crucial for troubleshooting to have a clean slate to work with. Therefore, I will be having you uninstall the printer prior to running any fixes.

2. Select All Programs
  3. Click the HP folder
  4. Select your HP Officejet
  5. Select Uninstall

Please follow any onscreen prompts to complete the uninstall. Once the uninstall has completed please proceed to the next step.

Step 2: Clear Temp Files:

2. In the 'search programs and files' box type %temp% and hit enter on your keyboard
  3. When the Temp folder opens, select Ctrl + A at the same time on your keyboard. Everything in this folder will now highlight.
  4. Select the 'delete' button on your keyboard. The Temp folder contains temporary internet files. No actual files or folders on your computer will be affected by deleting the Temp files. Should a Temp file still be used than you will automatically get the pop up to 'skip' that item.
  5. Close the Temp folder once it is emptied
  6. Right click the Recycling Bin on your desktop and select Empty Recycling Bin

Step 3: Run Microsoft Fix It:

I'm going to have you run a Microsoft Fix It Tool that will check your system for any Registry conflicts or print/scan system issues. Please click  here to access the Tool. Once the website opens select 'Print, fax, scan, share or save' under Step (2). Under Step (3) select Run Now for 'Diagnose and fix printer and printing problems automatically'. Once the Tool opens please follow the onscreen steps to perform any recommended fixes. Should any Registry conflicts be found the Tool should correct this issue. Once the Tool has completed, please proceed to the next step. 

Step 4: Run CCLeaner:

To ensure that there are no additional malicious files on your computer that may be causing HP Scan software issues, I am going to have you run a CCleaner. Please click here to download the CCLeaner. Once the website opens click the Free Download button at the top. Once the Tool has downloaded please run the Scan to remove the files. If multiple files are found you may need to run the Scan a few times to remove all malicious files. Once the Scan has completed please proceed to the next step.

Step 5: Reinstall Driver:

1. Please click here to download the drivers for your HP Officejet
  2. Once the download is complete please follow the onscreen prompts to install your printer

Once your HP Officejet has been successfully installed please test scanning again.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. Best of luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

Highlighted
Author
Level 1
4 3 1 1
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you!  Running the CCLeaner appears to have done the trick!  I have only tried scanning once since downloading and running the cleaner.  But it worked!

Thanks so much!  🙂

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation