Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a HP Photosmart 6520 Printer. After I installed some new ink cart. I got and still get a message saying "HP Protected Cartridges installed Replace Cartridges" subsequently in repeated HP Tech contacts noone has been able to solve my problem. They have talked my through installing yet more Cartridges all of which failed to work and which are now uselaess as they have been "branded" somehow as "protected". I don't want anyones "protestion" and wish this would go away but IO am at the point of simply throwing the Printer away and buying something NOT HP sourced so I can get back to work. I ahve wasted days working on this and I am fed up with HP and their Printers!

22 REPLIES 22
HP Recommended

I cannot get rid of the error message "HP Protected Cartridge Installed--Replace Cartridges" I have and the message will not go away and the printer is totally useless and cannot be used repeated contacts with HP TEch has resulted in wasted cartridges and time to no avail.

HP Recommended

Hello touchyu2,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums! 🙂 I understand you cannot get rid of the error message "HP Protected Cartridge Installed--Replace Cartridges', you have tried contacting our phone support with no success.

I would like you to turn off the HP Cartridge Protection setting, located in the Embedded Web Server. Please follow the steps listed below:

1. Obtain the printer's IP Address from the front panel of the PS 6520:

Setup MenuWireless Menu > Display Network Configuration > Print Info

2. Open up a web browser and input the IP address exactly as you see it. (Ex. 192.168.0.00- Do not add a www. or .com)

3. This will open up the printer's Embedded Web Sever, click on the Settings option and to the left hand side select HP Cartridge Protection and make sure this is disabled.

OJ 8600.png

Please let me know if this was helpful.

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Sir, I clearly stated the Printer was a HP Photosmart 6520 so i don't know where to find the IP address? If you could help

I would be very thankful as I am on the verge of throwing away the printer. It is under warranty but to get a refund they want me to jump through hoops and are unabke to fix it but they won'rt repace it. To me they say too bad! Tom [Edited for Personal Information]

HP Recommended

NO!  Not helpful!  I clearly stated the printer was a HP Photosmart 6520  NOT a J8600.  The IP address does not appear to be anywhere I thought to look. Serial number is: [edited Serial Number]  FPU: CX017-64002.  Tom   [email edited by Moderator]

HP Recommended

touchyu2,

You need to go to the front panel of your PS 6520 and follow the steps listed in my original recommendation. Once you have this page printed, you can obtain the IP address and complete the steps above.

Thanks,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi @touchyu2 ,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums. I needed to edit your post and remove the Serial Number. In accordance with our Rules of Participation:

Protect privacy - yours and others'. Don't share anything about yourself that you would not want to see on a road-side billboard. Don't post contact or other personal information-your own or anyone else's-or any content that you receive in one-to-one communications without the author's consent. For example, don’t post your computer’s serial # or contact information publicly, and do not allow someone you don’t know to remotely take control of your computer.

If you need people to contact you directly, either ask them to send you a private message or subscribe to the thread so you will be notified when there are replies. You may also click on your name anywhere in the forum and you will be taken to your profile page, where you can find a list of threads you have participated in.

Sharing personal email addresses, telephone numbers, and last names is not allowed for your safety. If you have any questions feel free to send me a private message in reply.

Thank you
George

I work for HP
HP Recommended

Same issue with our 6520. Used setup cartridges as you suggested. Now 564XL black is showing up as protected, though in HP Utility (on our iMac running Mavericks), I had disabled cartridge protection. Cannot run the suggested steps since the printer will not move off the display of protected cartridge installed.

Tried unplugging, waiting 30 seconds, plugging back in, hoping that it would go to the home screen, from which I could access the settings. I could access the IP address, however, through the Mac's System Preferences    Printers and Scanners    Photosmart 6520    Options and Supplies    General    Show Printer Webpage. Using the IP address, I got access to the Embedded Web Server.

It was slightly different from that shown in your screenshot, but I got there through Settings    Preferences     HP Cartridge Protection. However, disable HP cartridge protection was already checked. I clicked apply anyway. But the disable  line included currently installed and previously protected cartridges will remain protected. I never set up cartridge protection, and if it is the default setting, I strongly believe it should not be. I have now spent more than 90 minutes of my day (and my husband took a go at it first) in this evidently futile endeavor.

Alisaunt
HP Recommended

Hi alisaunt,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! 🙂 I see you are running into some problems with the 'Protected Cartridge settings' on your HP Photosmart 6520. Seeing as this happened with the Setup cartridges, I suggest calling our technical support at 800-474-6836, please have the cartridges with you so they can obtain the information needed from it. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl

Please let me know the outcome with phone support, I will watch for your reply.

Thanks,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I've been trying to contact you for seven days now, per your message on this support forum, but the forum sees HTML code where there is none. (I have even checked, line by line.) But I am trying again. Well, it's been over a week since I received your response, where you said you'd look into our case when you got back in the office on July 14, so I've been trying to check in and see if you have made any progress. I'm concerned that the other three cartridges, which were brand new the day the original 6520 "went," may be unacceptable to the newer 6520 as the black one is. If the fact that they were (barely) used in the earlier printer makes them "protected," that is a very big problem: we are retired, and spending another $100+ for new cartridges is enough to make me want to The 6520 is chugging along, frequently making alarming, loud, ratcheting sounds after printing. This is an unacceptable state of affairs. After buying only HP printers over the past 17 years (and buying many of them for the university department in which I worked for 10 years prior to that, I have enough experience of your products to say that I can't believe how much the quality has declined. But this is a new level of distress. At any rate, I would like to know what progress you've made over the past several days. Thanks, Mary Beth Blackmon

Alisaunt
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.