Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-AiO
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Printer model: 

HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One Printer - N911a
Model #: CM749A
Serial #: [Moderator Edited Serial Number]

Desktop model:

HP Pavilion 20-b313w All-in-One Desktop PC (ENERGY STAR)
Model #: H6U05AAR
Serial #: [Personal Information Removed]

I am getting the following message when I tyr to open my printer:

DeviceProperties.exe - Bad Image
C:\WINDOWS\system32\printui.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support. Error status 0x0000020.

The printer has been up and running for about a year and it prints wirelessly from other devices, except from my main computer, also an HP product. It seems like there is a corrupted driver in my system.

I uninstalled the HP printer software because of an error message similar to the one I posted. It stated "printui.dll is not a win32 app" or something like that.

Now I cannot re-installed the software (driver) for this printer back into my computer.

Please help. 

HP Pavilion 20-b313w All-in-One Desktop PC

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hey @velezmoro,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I understand that you're getting the error 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\printui.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error.  . . ' on your Windows 8.1 computer when trying to access the features of your HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One Printer. I see that since uninstalling your All-in-One you are not able to reinstall your HP Officejet on your computer. I would like to assist you today with resolving this issue. Printui.dll is the executable file that contains the functions used by the printer configuration. Therefore, this issue may be due to a print system conflict within the Windows 8.1 computer, or an HP Full Feature Software and Driver conflict. Can I please have you follow the steps below to isolate this issue and resolve this issue.

Step 1: Remove Driver:

Even though you have previously performed an uninstall of your HP Officejet, I am going to have you perform a check on your system to confirm that the HP Officejet drivers have been completely removed from your system. It is crucial for troubleshooting purposes that we have a nice clean slate to work with.

1. Open your Start screen by selecting the Windows icon on the bottom left of your computer screen, or by selecting the Windows key on the bottom left of your keyboard, to the right of the Ctrl button
  2. Under the Start screen type Programs and Features. Click Programs and Features to launch the window.
  3. In Programs and Features a list of programs installed on your computer will populate. Please scroll down this list and look for your HP Officejet. If you see your HP Officejet please select it and choose Uninstall. Please follow any onscreen prompts to complete the uninstall. Once the uninstall is complete please close Programs and Features.
  4. If you do not see your HP Officejet listed, please close Programs and Features.
  5. Next, please open your Start screen again
  6. This time type Devices and Printers. Click Devices and Printers to launch the window
  7. In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Officejet. If you see it listed please right click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'. 
  8. Next, click on any device listed under 'Printers and Faxes' once just to highlight it
  9. Click Print Server Properties at the top of the window
  10. Click on the Drivers tab
  11. Look for your HP Officejet driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom
  12. Click Remove Driver Only
  13. Select OK
  14. Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties window
  15. Close Devices and Printers. Please proceed to the next step.

Step 2: Clear Temp Files:

1. Open your Start screen by selecting the Windows icon on the bottom left of your computer screen, or by selecting the Windows key on the bottom left of your keyboard, to the right of the Ctrl button
  2. Under the Start screen type Run. CLick Run to launch the Run dialogue box
  3. In the Run box type %temp% and click OK
  4. When the Temp folder opens, select Ctrl + A at the same time on your keyboard. Everything in this folder will now highlight.
  5. Select the 'delete' button on your keyboard. The Temp folder contains temporary internet files. No actual files or folders on your computer will be affected by deleting the Temp files. Should a Temp file still be used than you will automatically get the pop up to 'skip' that item.
  6. Close the Temp folder once it is emptied
  7. Right click the Recycling Bin on your desktop and select Empty Recycling Bin.  Please proceed to the next step

Step 3: Run Microsoft Fix It:

Next, to check your computer for any system or Registry conflicts they may be conflicting with your HP Officejet I am going to have you run a Microsoft Fix It Tool. Please click here to download the Tool. Once the website opens select the Run Now button. Please run any 'Recommended' fixes for Installing. Should any conflicts be found the Microsoft Fix It Tool will attempt to resolve any system issues. If you're brought to a list of programs please scroll down the list and look for your HP Officejet. If you see it please click your HP Officejet and select Next for assistance with Installing. If you do not see your HP Officejet click the 'Not Listed' option at the top of the list. Once the Tool has completed please proceed to the next step.

Step 4: Run CCLeaner:

I am now going to have you run a CCLeaner to check your system for any malicious files that may be causing the printui.dll conflict. Please click here to access the CCleaner website. Once the website opens click the Free Download button. Once the download is complete please perform the Scan. If malicious files are found you may need to run the Scan multiple times to remove all malicious files. Once your system has been deemed as 'clean' please proceed to the next step.

Step 5: Install Device:

Lastly, please click here to download the Full Feature Software and Driver package for your HP Officejet. Once the download is complete please follow the onscreen instructions to install your printer. Once the installation is complete please test printing and scanning to verify that your product is functioning correctly. Once we have proven functionality please open Devices and Printers. Right click on your HP Officejet and select Printer Properties to confirm if all Properties display as per normal.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. Good luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Good morning X-23,

Thank you for your reply. I followed all th steps in your solution, but the printer cannot be installed wirelessly yet.

The Officejet Pro 8600 is found on the network, and I can print from any wireless device, but I cannot install the driver in my HP desktop, so I cannot print from it.

When I try to add the printer (because it is found in my network) I get the following message:

run-dll.jpg

There may be still be some corruption in the registry. Do you have any other ideas? Should I contact HP support and let them take a stab at it?

Thanks X-23,

Velezmoro

HP Recommended

Hey @velezmoro,

Thanks for getting back to me regarding this issue.

Because your're still getting the error 'printui.dll is not a valid Win32 application' there are definitely some misconfigured system files still with your Windows Operating System. To verify if this error is occuring because of a conflict within your User Account or from an Operating System corruption, I am going to have you attempt to install your printer under a hidden System Administrator Account. Can I please have you follow the steps below.

Step 1: Remove Driver:

Before unlocking and installing under the System Administrator Account I am going to have you ensure that no trace of the printer is showing under your User Account.

1. Open your Start screen by selecting the Windows icon on the bottom left of your computer screen, or by selecting the Windows key on the bottom left of your keyboard, to the right of the Ctrl button
  2. Under the Start screen type Programs and Features. Click Programs and Features to launch the window.
  3. In Programs and Features a list of programs installed on your computer will populate. Please scroll down this list and look for your HP Officejet. If you see your HP Officejet please select it and choose Uninstall. Please follow any onscreen prompts to complete the uninstall. Once the uninstall is complete please close Programs and Features.

Step 2: Unlock System Administrator Account:

2. Under the Start screen type Command Prompt. On the right Command Prompt should populate. Please right click on Command Prompt and left click on 'Run as Administrator'
  3. Once CMD (Command Prompt) opens, type net user administrator /active:yes and hit enter
    on your keyboard
  4. Next, close CMD and restart your computer
  5. When your computer comes on log into the new account that should show. It will be called Administrator and will not have a password on it.
  6. If your computer automatically logs into your Account after restart than open your Start screen. Click on your User Account Picture or Name (usually on the top right) and select the Log OFF option. Please log into the new Administrator Account.
  7. Under the Administrator Account please click here to download the drivers for your printer
  8. Once the download is complete please follow the onscreen prompts to install your device
  9. Once the installation is complete please test your machine to confirm functionality. If everything works fine, please Log OFF of this Account and  back into your normal User Account. The software and driver package should now be installed successfully under your User Account.
  10. Under your User Account please test the functions of your device to confirm that everything is still working.

If everything works fine you will want to hide the Administrator Account.

Step 3: Hide System Administrator Account:

2. Under the Start screen type Command Prompt. On the right Command Prompt should populate. Please right click on Command Prompt and left click on 'Run as Administrator'
  3. Once CMD (Command Prompt) opens, type net user administrator /active:no and hit enter
    on your keyboard
  4. Next, close Command Prompt and Restart your computer when prompted

When your system comes back on please test your machine again to confirm that everything is still working.

Should the issue persist, if you prefer you can reach out to our Technical Support queue by phone for support. You may also have the option of performing a Remote Session with the support agent. This means, that with your permission, the support agent can log into your computer and perform the troubleshooting steps with you.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:

Contact Support

(1) Once the support page opens please enter your HP model number (CM749a) on the right.

(2) Next, scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact page' and fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Please let me know if the steps I've provided resolve your issue. If you would rather continue support over the Forum I would be happy to provide you with additional steps should the issue remain. I look forward to hearing from you! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Hello X-23,

I applied you solution but I still could not install the printer on my HP desktop. Your instructions are correct, but after I contacted HP Dupport by phone I realized that the problem is that there is a corrupt Windows file in my system (printui.dll).

That is the reason I cannot install the printer. I have to get a solution from Microsoft. After the dll is restored from a good copy I should be able to install the printer,

I will post my results after the dll is fixed.

Thanks.

HP Recommended
Product Name: HP LaserJet Pro 400 M401a
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Printer model: 

HP Laserjet Pro 400 SERIES

printer M401a/M401d/M401n/M410dn/M410dw

HP LaserJet Pro 400 M401 Printer Series PCL6 Print Driver (no Installer)

Desktop model:

HP OPTIPLEX Desktop PC (ENERGY STAR)
Model #: OPTIPLEX 755
Serial #: [Personal Information Removed]

Good Morning,

When I try to add the printer (because it is found in my network) I get the following message:

1.PNG

There may be still be some corruption in the registry. Can someone help to fix this error?

Regor30,

Best Regards 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.