cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Error when installing drivers & software for Photosmart C410a

Hi - I have a Photosmart C410a that I am trying to use with a 64-bit Windows 7 SP1 laptop, with an Intel i5-2520M CPU.  The printer was working with this laptop a while ago (back in March), but I applied a Windows update sometime in March, and since then the printer has not worked.  I've tried several times over the past few months, but have had the same result everytime.  Today I've been working on this for 11 hours (no, I'm not kidding...)

I've tried downloading the latest full software suite and basic drivers (separately) from the HP website, and I tried using the CD that came with the printer.  I tried the Windows 7 wizard and diagnostic utilities available on the HP website.  I've tried setting it up with a USB cable and wirelessly.  I've used the ccc uninstaller to get a clean start, and have followed the instructions of the troubleshooting guides.  But no luck.

I have this printer installed on another Windows 7 64-bit system, using a wireless connection, and it is working fine.  However, on the 2nd system I cannot get the software or drivers to install.

The error I get varies a little depending on if I try the USB or wireless installation method, but the consistent parts is "Exit Code = 1603".  When trying to install with the USB cable the error is:

printer error D Drive USB.png

When I try the wireless install I get this:

printer error D Drive USB.png

I tried reregistering atl.dll and the windows installer (as suggested here http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02455020).

Nothing has worked.  Does anyone have any new suggestions?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 13
Level 13
12,148 11,471 966 2,919
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi sjsimpson2000,

Try using the scrubber built into the CD or Download.

From Original installation CD:

1. Insert CD into drive, and then cancel the installer

2. Open My Computer, and then right click on the CD drive and chose open

3. Open folder Util

4. Open folder CCC

5. Run the L4uninstall.exe

6. When the uninstall has completed restart the computer

7. Run Disk cleanup from Accessories\ System Tools

8. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player

9. Download the full feature software and drivers

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-84595-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...=

10. Run the download to reinstall the printer

If software was downloaded and extracted to your system:

1. Type %temp% in the run field

2. Look for, and open the folder starting with 7z (Example: 7zS2356)

3. Open folder Util

4. Open folder CCC

5. Run the L4uninstall.exe

6. When the uninstall has completed restart the computer

7. Run Disk cleanup from Accessories\ System Tools

8. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player

9. Download the full feature software and drivers

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-84595-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...=

10. Run the download to reinstall the printer

If you get the fatal error 1603 again then you will need to follow the steps in the document below.

Fatal error 1603

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello - having the exact same issue with W8.  Followed instructions, but still receive error 1603.  Please advise on 1603 for Windows 8. 

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 1
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It appears if you are unlucky enough to get ths recurrent fatal error(asI I have) and are not a pc tech,   you have purchased a door stop.  I have purchased hp printers for years but this will be the last.   Like the previous consumer,  I have wasted countless hours on this correction.... Will never happen again.   I will not double the cost of the printer paying consultants who swoop in like vultures to correct the problem. 

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation