Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Top Student
Message 1 of 2 (4,585 Views)
Accepted Solution

F4180 - Fatal Error on install - MSI.dot4wrp40 on Windows 7

[ Edited ]

What is the latest advice or help on installing software for a HP F4180 all-in-one device.

2 days ago I bought a brand new HP computer that runs Windows 7 64bit. It is essentially as supplied although I have uninstalled Norton and installed Microsoft Security essentials. I'm now trying to move over devices from my old XP computer and I've got stuck with the F4180 all-in-one printer,scanner,copier..

I didy plug my F4180 into the new computer. It downloaded drivers and I can print. However when I then come to try and install the full software from your website for Windows 7 that would allow me to use the scanner then I get a "Fatal Error" and reference MSI.dot4wrp40. When I look further into the details I see that the install has failed "The windows Installer Service could not be accessed. MSIInstall failed 1603.

Since then I have unplugged the device, run the uninstall_L2 and uninstall_L3 from the ccc directory. Looked for a hpzsetup.exe.txt to rename (not found it), looked for twain files (another item on forums) and not found those. I have applied the HP patch for upgrading from Vista and run it with no visible effect, I've found a file called twainfix.exe and run that, once again with no visible effect. I am completely out of ideas.

Neil

0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Re: F4180 - Fatal Error on install - MSI.dot4wrp40 on Windows 7

Just to close this thread off. I emailed HP Support andthey suggested stuff that I had already tried. However I noticed that my system was not updating Office with Service Pack 1 . Windows Update was failing to apply the service pack. I downloaded Office 2007 SP2 and installed that myself. That install failed but when I started the software it said that it was SP2. I ran Windows Update again and it found a load of more patches for Office 2007. I set it to do the updates and these failed. However I "tried again" and suddenly they were gone as if they had applied and when I ran Windows Update again there was nothing to apply. All was installed.

I discussed this with HP. They recommedned that I restored the system to the software that was on the computer when I bought it. As I had only had the computer for a week then this was easy to do. The first thing I did after that was install the F4180 software. It went on fine. I am now in the process of installing all the other software and praying that I never have to re-install the F4180 software again.
View solution in context
Top Student
Message 2 of 2 (4,471 Views)

Re: F4180 - Fatal Error on install - MSI.dot4wrp40 on Windows 7

Just to close this thread off. I emailed HP Support andthey suggested stuff that I had already tried. However I noticed that my system was not updating Office with Service Pack 1 . Windows Update was failing to apply the service pack. I downloaded Office 2007 SP2 and installed that myself. That install failed but when I started the software it said that it was SP2. I ran Windows Update again and it found a load of more patches for Office 2007. I set it to do the updates and these failed. However I "tried again" and suddenly they were gone as if they had applied and when I ran Windows Update again there was nothing to apply. All was installed.

I discussed this with HP. They recommedned that I restored the system to the software that was on the computer when I bought it. As I had only had the computer for a week then this was easy to do. The first thing I did after that was install the F4180 software. It went on fine. I am now in the process of installing all the other software and praying that I never have to re-install the F4180 software again.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation