cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
mikevallabh
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 23
Flag Post

Firmware update failed Hp Color LaserJet 5550 DTN

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have an HP Color Laserjet 5550 DTN displaying the following error on it's LCD screen "RFU LOAD ERROR RESEND RFU OVER PARALLEL PORT".   I connected via a mini-parallel cable and issued the command via Windows command prompt:

copy /b clj5550fw_07.200.5.rfu lpt1:

The LCD screen read "RFU RECEIVED, CYCLIING POWER".  After at least 20mins the printer had not power cycled so I turned it off and back on again.  I can now see nothing on the LCD screen.  No memory checking viewable and no LEDS light at all.

Is there a way to perform the firmware upgrade again or am I going to have to purchase a new firmware DIMM.  I believe the part number for a new firmware DIMM is HP Q7725-68002?

Cheers,

Mike

0 Kudos
22 REPLIES 22
Gordon_H
Level 8
2,418 2,394 149 356
Message 2 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello mikevallabh,

The HP Color LaserJet 5550 Printer series are commercial printers. I recommend posting in the forum for HP Business Support for a better chance at finding a solution.

Here is the link to the Commercial Laserjet board:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-LaserJet/bd-p/bsc-413

Also, here is a link to the support page:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Home.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesI...

🙂 If I have helped in any way, just click the Kudos star on the left. Also, if your issue has been resolved, don't forget to select Accept as Solution 🙂
0 Kudos
mikevallabh
Author
3 1 0 0
Message 3 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Gordon, I have reposted as you advised.

Cheers,

Mike

0 Kudos
DerAdler
Level 2
9 9 0 8
Message 4 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I guess it could be useful to those arriving here, to have the direct link to the thread that Mike opened about this problem:

Firmware update failed HP Color LaserJet 5550 DTN

There, you will find more information regarding the problem and the way with which Mike solved it.

Cya

DanielVSG
Level 2
31 30 0 6
Message 5 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I now have the same problem but the link is dead......

Does anybody know how to fix this problem on the 5550dn?

Or another question:

Is it possible to simply take a formatter with all of its DIMMS and CF´s on it from a working 5550dn and place it in that defective printer to make it work again? Or are there any values stored in some kind of NVRAM that makes this impossible?

Thanks for your replies!  

0 Kudos
Rapace81
0 1 0 1
Message 6 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Italiano:

Salve a tutti ho risolto questo problema!, 

ho passato molti giorni alla ricerca di un post in tutti i siti di assistenza che potesse risolvere questo problema ma senza successo poi grazie ad un'altra stampante dello stesso modello sono riuscito a copiare il file firmware originale che non troverete da nessuna parte e vi spiego la soluzione i pochi passaggi

La soluzione è semplice:

• Dovete smontare il formatter e staccare la compact flash memory che contiene il firmware corrotto 
  • tramite un lettore di compact flash formattate in file system (fat) la vostra Compact Flash memory da 32mb
  • tramite il programma HDDGURU: HDD Raw Copy Tool copiate il file immagine del firmware 

lo so vi chiederete e il file immagine firmware della mia stampante dovè??

penso di essere l'unico in possesso di questo file x la stampante HP ColorLaserject 5550/5550DN/5550DTN 

se volete il file immagine potete contattarmi su aleyeahweb@gmail.com 

Inglese:

Hello everyone I solved this problem!,  

I spent many days searching for a post at all sites of care that could solve this problem without success then thanks to another printer of the same model are able to copy the original firmware file that you will not find anywhere and there i explain the few steps solution

The solution is simple: 

• You have to remove the formatter and remove the compact flash memory that contains the corrupted firmware
  • Through a reader compact flash formatted file system ( fat ) your Compact Flash memory from 32mb 
  • Through HDDGURU program : HDD Raw Copy Tool copy the image file of the firmware 

I know you will ask , and the firmware image file of my printer is where?? 

I think I'm the only one in possession of this file for the HP ColorLaserject 5550 / 5550DN / 5550dtn

if you want the image file you can contact me on aleyeahweb@gmail.com

DerAdler
Level 2
9 9 0 8
Message 7 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ciao Rapace,

quando ho avuto questo problema ho recuperato un paio di flashmemory funzionanti (ovvero con il relativo firmware sopra) di Hp5550dtn, sperando così di poterle usare o per sostituire la flash-memory con il firmware corrrotto oppure per copiare il firmware e copiarlo sulla flash-memory orignale "danneggiata".

Purtroppo ho scoperto che non è così semplice, dato che in base alla versione del Formatter, della stampante, del batch di produzione, l'allineamento di Plutone con Urano (LOL), il firmware cambia.

Probabilmente tu sei riuscito perchè le due stampanti uguali che avevi erano davvero identiche (probabilmente stesso lotto di produzione o acquistate insieme).

Tutto questo per dire che il firmware che hai copiato non necessariamente è da intendersi "universale" per tutte le 5550dtn.

Comunque un tentativo è sempre consigliabile, tanto alla peggio non completa o non fa il boot; però se qualcuno ti contatta, fàglielo presente.

======================

Hi guys,

sorry for the message in Italian here above with fellow raptor "Rapace" (funny, "DerAdler" means eagle in German, LOL).

Basically I just explained to him that the firmware on Formatter flash memories are not "universal"; unfortunately they differ basing on several aspects, like Formatter version, RAM installed, printer revision/batch-date and/or manufacturer, etc.

When I had the issue with my HP5550dtn I tried to replace the original Flash-memory (corrupted) with few ones (working) apparently marked with the same firmware version, but with no success.

This because they were flashed with a firmware intended to work with a different version of Formatter and/or printer (though we're still speaking of the same "generic" model: HP Color LaserJet 5550dtn).

So, be adviced about flashing your flash-memory with an other firmware, even if (apparently) coming from the same printer model, because could still lead the printer to the boot failure / hang.

Btw, it always worth a try!

DanielVSG
Level 2
31 30 0 6
Message 8 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi DerAdler,

do you have a FW-Image for me to test it?

It would be great!

THX

0 Kudos
DerAdler
Level 2
9 9 0 8
Message 9 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi DanielVSG,

like I said to "Rapace81", extracting the firmware from a working flash-memory doesn't mean you can use it to (re)flash a corrupted/brand-new (compatible) flash-memory you've.

Btw, I can provide you my running flash-memory dump as an .img file. I used HDDRawCopy and an USB card-reader to extract it (I suggest you to use the same program to write the IMG on your flash card. See "Rapace81" post above for the step-to-step procedure).

I got the file, but please contact me with a PM, 'cause I guess the FMW cannot be distributed here.

PS: for the record, my flash-memory is a 32MB; spare Q7725A-0002 (Q7725BS).

DanielVSG
Level 2
31 30 0 6
Message 10 of 23
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi DerAdler,

thanks for your help.

The FW is working wonderful!

I used  an old digital picture frame to format an 512MB CF-Card to FAT.  :OpenSmile:

After that, i copied the FW-image with HD-RAW-Copy-Tool to the CF-Card and insert it into the device.

It was booting up immediately and internal testpages are printable.

Great!

Thanks all for your help in this case!

PS: This means, that you dont have to use a 32MB CF-Card, because mine is a 512MB one.

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation