cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Fixed wStub "Fatal error during installation"

Wow, this was an ordeal, but I resolved the problem. It began when my Officejet 7310 suddenly quit working with the Solution Center software Dec 2011. I worked with HP TS a little but they dumped me pretty quickly because the 7310 was out of warranty. I purchased an Officejet 4500 (for less than the tech support fee) and as I suspected, it had the same issue. At least it was under warranty and the support was free.

The issue in both cases was that when I installed the full software, I would get to the Configuring... step and it would run for exactly 10 minutes, then time out with the error "H:\hpzsetup.exe" "-wStub" "<number>" Fatal error during installation. After the initial call and non-support for the 7310, I spoke with tech support nearly a dozen times and spent at least 20 hours trying to solve the problem. What didn't work, was all the levels of uninstall which can be found in the utils\ccc directory on the installation CD. BTW, I used the L4 uninstall despite the fact that it's not recommended if you have an HP PC, for fear that it will remove some critical PC components. Use it at your own peril. Neither USB nor network connection fixed it but they did change the error number.

Here's what I worked after numerous unsuccessful install, uninstall and reinstall attempts. (I'm assuming you have the software installed.)

1. Create a restore point or backup your registry.

2. Go to <CD drive>:\util\ccc and run Uninstall_L4.bat. (If you have an HP PC, Uninstall_L3.bat is recommended, but I have not seen any deleterious effects on my dv7 notebook from L4.)

3. Delete the Digital Imaging folder under C:\Program Files (x86)\HP (or just Program Files if you're running 32-bit Windows).

3. Run a registry cleaner multiple times until it finds no more problems. (I ran CCleaner 4x.)

4. Run regedit. (If you are not comfortable editing the registry, find someone who is or back off at this point.)

5. Search the registry [Ctrl+F] for HPAIO and delete the registry entries that contain the keys. Note that sometimes this means deleting a registry folder that holds this and other keys if there is no other unrelated information in the other registry keys. Again, understanding the registry is critical so if you feel confused, back away from the computer. OTOH, you should have a backup or restore point if you feel brave.

6. Search the registry for "Digital Imaging" (without quotes) but before deleting, check to make sure the key has something to do with HP. Most of the ones I found were part of a file location that included ...HP\Digital Imaging\....

7. Rerun the registry cleaner until all the errors are cleared.

At this point you could probably run the Officejet 4500 Full install and I suspect it would work, but I had been messing around with it for so long, that I decided to experiment. The OJ4500 comes with v13 of the Solution Center and I had learned from the last tech that v14 was available. V13 had caused me so many problems that I wanted to get as far away from it as I could. It wasn't part of the 4500 full install package, however. So I downloaded and ran the OJ6500 full install which does include v14. It didn't find the printer, obviously, so I chose the option to continue the installation and attach the printer later.

Next, I ran the OJ4500 setup from the installation CD and chose the minimum installation. I followed that through to the end, and with little hope of it working, clicked the HP Solution Center icon on the desktop. Lo and behold, it saw the OJ4500. It's displaying the correct ink levels and everything appears to be working.

As I said, my guess is that clearing out the registry per steps 1-7 handled the installation error, and the OJ4500 full install would have worked, but installing v14 of the Solution Center was a bonus -- a bonus I really needed one after what I went through to get the printer to work.

I hope I remembered all the steps.

Mark

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I get always fatal ''-erorr '' ''-wstub 66370''

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I didn't list an error number because it changed depending on what I tried and how I was connected, but at least you're getting something consistent.

In my original post, I forgot to mention that the OJ7310 was also discovered by the HP Solution Center and still is listed. I lost the OJ4500 again, but I prefer the 7310 and only bought the OJ4500 because it was cheaper than paying for tech support.. The 4500 is listed in Windows 7, so it's still available for the occasional print job.

Mark
0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation