cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Curiousjeff
Level 3
49 42 0 6
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Forum categories

DLS

Hello,

The original David forum was a place for exchange of ideas to improve the quality of scanning. It was not only a "support forum" for specific problems.

If HP wants to maintain that  purpose (call it "spirit"), identical sub-sections should be made on this forum (calibration, structured light, shape fusion, etc....) .

These sub-sections are especially useful for new users of David.

In it's present form, this new forum will help a specific user with a specific problem but will not be very useful to the David user community.

Jeff

11 REPLIES 11
WalterMo
Level 1
5 5 0 4
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Forum categories

Hello Jeff,

Nice to see you here on the HP-DAVID forum.

I think this will be a quite different forum. Without any contact (feedback) to the programmers.

It's a great pity. Continuing the former forum by a HP Moderator wouldn't have cost more man-power as to answer questions here.

The days of self-building of any hardware are over. An example e.g. is the switched off USB COM port of DAVID version 5. And nobody is interested in any scan result.

For me it was a nice time since 2007. A fulfilling and challenging task just after my retirement. All the active members of the original DAVID forum had done a great job. I have to praise ourselves: DAVID wouldn't be what it is today!

Of course I will trace this HP forum and hope to see here also other guys from the former DAVID forum.

Walter

0 Kudos
WalterMo
Level 1
5 5 0 4
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Forum categories

If someone (from the old DAVID forum) is missing here something, maybe to post his/her own scan or 3D print result for discussion etc., then please wait a bit.

Alex (avogra) from Munich is just on the way to create a new one and it is completely free, means independent of HP.

Walter

SAD-HAL
1 1 0 2
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Forum categories

Hello,

Is with huge sense of sadness that I post this message here: this "forum" isn't nothing barely similar to the original one. I don't know how HP will manage that, but would be interesting to know the reasons that moved them to stop the one we well know. Not easier to simply change the domain, the hosts and, as done, add the "an HP company"?

I don't have enough elements to judge this decision, but, if HP guys are interested to read what we write here, I can say that one of the good tools that let David became what is nowday is THE FORUM, and how it grew up in the last years. After nearly 10 years is a pity to see that the time, the work, the energy and knowledge of many peaole of us are going to be deleted suddenly.

So, before to express my opinion about this changes, I would like to know the opinions from the new owner company. I think that the product they bought was born thanks to the great original TEAM and also thanks to the huge COMMUNITY that shared experiences and knowledge. that is not valuable? It is a fact that the businnes lead over everything... but dear HP team: to forget the past and its meanings is always the worse solution.

Hope that this "question-answer" space on HP domain will became something structured like the David forum... otehrwise the community will simply die.

Mattia

humanti
4 2 0 0
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Forum categories

Hi Mattia 

up to us what will be the fate of the forum. For me it's important to the community, a lot of my work has bene. Perseverance in achieving future goals.

Tibor 

Hardware

Coin

0 Kudos
Curiousjeff
Level 3
49 42 0 6
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Forum categories

It's nice top see old folks back here.

I am very suprised that Walter's reply was edited and the link to the new user forum made by Avgora removed.

It is hard to follow HP's logic on this matter.

Why will the old forum be deleted instead of simply be preserved for reference purpose ? 

Why have nobody from HP replied to my request to have sub-sections like on the old forum ?

How will HP staff explain:

How to make a precise calibtation panel beyond was is available ?

Tricks for better allignements and fusion

Macro scanning

Image grabber 

etc...

Come on, David has many more sides then just taken hardware out of a box

Jeff

0 Kudos
WalterMo
Level 1
5 5 0 4
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Forum categories

Hello Jeff,

Yes, it's good to see old DAVID guys here.

The link to the new forum of Alex wasn't deleted by HP, it was deleted by myself. Also I had changed my former text a bit because only to delete the link wouldn't have made sense.  (I wasn't able to cancel my post completely).

The reason with the link was/is: The domain of the new forum comprised the word "David". Maybe it's better to remove 'David' because it is protected by trademark law. It would be good to get a statement of HP hereof.

Walter

0 Kudos
humanti
4 2 0 0
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Forum categories

0 Kudos
avogra
Level 2
22 18 0 0
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Forum categories

Hi there,

I just moved the new forum to a different domain, which is www.3dscanforum.org

This should avoid any trouble of infringement with HP. Would be great to see some of you over there 🙂

0 Kudos
Retired Bill_F
Retired
2,200 2,020 147 331
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Forum categories

Hey guys,

I wanted to respond to some of the questions you guys have about the 3D scanning board, why we don’t have the same categories as the DAVID boards did, and what can you expect going forward.

First and foremost companies are made up of people, and those people that made DAVID successful are part of HP Inc. now, and they are present in this new forum. When we were looking at the value that the forum brought to DAVID we considered many ways to approach migrating the data, but because there were so many categories we felt we had the opportunity to clean things up a bit and start from scratch. So we started with a single board, and brought over just a handful of posts to get the conversation started.

A community like this is only as good as the content generated by its users, so while the old content is good, newer content is even better. If there is a post about calibration that is still relevant then link to it! But if there are newer ways to do thing, why not create a new post that can explain it, rather than editing or replying to an older post. We want to be sure that those seeking help can get it, if you have feedback, provide it! We do care about this product, and we have DAVID people who are monitoring this and want to make this a successful forum.

There is a ton of old content in the DAVID forum but it is difficult to monitor more than one community, so we changed the old DAVID Community to read only. We moved some of that content to the HP community here just to get the conversation started and help new users a bit, but what our hope is, is that users who joined us from the DAVID community and made it so successful will continue to contribute and make this one just as successful.

Thanks

Bill_F

Community Manager

I am an HP employee
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation