cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
id1dave Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Galaxy S4, HP 8600, Error: unable to use this print option

Hello.  I have a problem with mobile printing to my HP 8600 N911g from my Samsung Galaxy S4 running Android v4.2.2.

According to HP's documentation this combination of devices should be able to use the HP built-in android print solution, which basically means I shouldn't have to install anything in order to print.  When I try to print from the phone's browser, I choose the "print" option.  I am able to locate and select the printer on my network.  I see the preview of the web page on the phone.  I click the print button and get a message at the top of the screen saying "Starting to Print".  Then I get an error pop-up at the bottom that says "Printing error: unable to use this print option".

I've turned things off and on.  The phone and printer are on the same wifi network.  On the printer I have ePrint setup as well as wifi direct (though I don't know that matters).  I have tried turning off bluetooth.

Any clues?  Would appreciate some help here.

PS - I also tried downloading the HP ePrint app from the android market and didn't have success with that either ... but I'm pretty sure I shouldn't have to do that, right?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
4,105 3,880 591 652
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hey id1dave,

The HP built in printing solution for Android is more aimed at the Slate 7 tablet from HP, than other android devices.  However, I just tested this method with an 8600 Premium in my area and it worked without a hitch.  However, I would advise using the ePrint mobile app from HP for printing to your 8600 from the GS4.  I have a GS4 myself and use this app to print to many HP printers where I am located.

What seems to be the issue you experience when attempting to print from your GS4 with the ePrint mobile app to the 8600?

I see you have the printer and phone connected WiFi to the same network.  Have you tried restarting the network setup?

Follow these steps to reset your HP printer, your wireless router, and your computer.

1. Press the Power button on the HP printer to turn it off.
  2. Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the HP printer.
  3. Disconnect the power cord from the wireless router.
  4. Turn off the computer.
  5. Wait 30 seconds.
  6. Reconnect the power cord to the wireless router.
  7. Wait 30 seconds, or until the router is fully on and ready.
  8. Turn the computer back on.
  9. Wait for the computer to reload.
  10. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the HP printer.
  11. Turn the printer back on.

Have you set the printer up for ePrint using the HPConnected website?

I would like to help with your issue as I am familiar with this app and phone,

Jason

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
0 Kudos
zeus2470 Tutor
Tutor
3 3 1 1
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Even i m facing this problem. I have hp 6500e all in one printer. Whenever i m printing a webpage its showing this error. Plz help
0 Kudos
zeus2470 Tutor
Tutor
3 3 1 1
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hp eprint app works fine. The default print option always shows this error while printing webpage or photos.
0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
4,105 3,880 591 652
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I have seen some success with setting a static IP address for printing using the built in Android printing solution.  Have you set a static IP with the Google DNS servers as well (8.8.8.8 for primary, 8.8.4.4 for secondary) for your printer?

For information on how to set a static IP please see the video below:

Let me know if this helps with the error message,

Jason

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
8,611 7,796 283 645
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Just FYI, as you have a Samsung galaxy s4 you may be interested in the post below from Arkle....

HP Mobile Printing from the Samsung Galaxy S4 - no app needed

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/ePrint-Print-Apps-Mobile-Printing-and-ePrintCenter/HP-Mobile-Printing-f...

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
0 Kudos
zeus2470 Tutor
Tutor
3 3 1 1
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I have had a success....
I tried to change the printer by 'searching' again, then clicked on my printer and then it worked...:)
Regents Professor
Regents Professor
8,611 7,796 283 645
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

@zeus2470 wrote:
I have had a success....
I tried to change the printer by 'searching' again, then clicked on my printer and then it worked...:)

Glad to hear it!

🙂

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
0 Kudos
Memjay Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!  I've been struggling with this since I set up the new printer, but until you said you'd changed the printer by "searching again", I had not had any success.  For anyone still struggling, once you get to the "print" page, click on the little settings icon.  The default printer will be listed at the top of the settings page.  Click on that printer, and a "select printer" dialog will pop up.  Click "refresh", and you should see a list of printers available.  Choose your printer (the 8600 is the one I have), and then you'll be all set.  Sometimes we over-think things, and this was simply another example of the "k-i-s-s" rule!  Thanks again, zeus2470!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
ChefAdi Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi,

I am using the Samsung galaxy note 2 with the eprint app and it has solved my initial problem  to print however does it have an option to Print Selection

Please Help

Regards

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation